Loss of hearing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
I had an ear infection for a few weeks. Although the pain has gone now, it’s working at 50% It looks clean inside. Also have severe tinnitus in that ear. Will it go back to normal or is it permanently damaged?
Hard to get in doctors around here and a C.Cer must have had a similar experience?

Dave7

Legendary Member
Not sure exactly what you mean here...............
"hard to get in doctors around here"..............
have you been to the doctors yet?.......if not how do you know that a) its working at 50% and b) it looks clean inside ?
When my son was a young kid we took him to the doctors as he had an ear infection. Doctor didn't pick things up.............ended up in hospital and totally lost the hearing in one ear.
So.................
don't mess around. If you have an ear infection get to the doctors and get it sorted out.

green1

Über Member
I had a ear infection 6 or 7 years ago and have tinnitus ever since. Medical advice I got was useless. Basically told unlucky nothing to do, come back if you want a noise genetator

Last edited:

iluvmybike

Über Member
Tinnitus can have many causes - some physical some neural - but if it is unbearable then it would be worthwhile exploring with your doctor what that cause may be but there is no 'cure' afaik. You need to be insistent with your doctors surgery to get an appointment albeit takes a few days. An MRI scan would determine if it is something like otosclerosis which affects the tiny staple bone in the inner ear - but it will be a question of if the docs would do an MRI scan. I'm told the tinnitus is the hair cells in the cochlea being over-stimulated all the time hence the noise

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Another ear infection to tinnitus sufferer here and I've been told it's hear to stay. I'm currently awaiting for an appointment with the tinnitus clinic

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
The thing is 8 years ago I had a bout of bad tinnitus. Had it all checked out and they recommended to learn to live with it. After a few years it went away. Had last 5 years trouble free now it’s back after the latest infection. Maybe fluid is trapped behind the ear drum. Got docs at 4pm.

vickster

Legendary Member
Not too hard to get an appointment then :okay:

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I would imagine it depends on where the infection is/was. I had an epic infection in the outer ear to the point it distorted the entire side of my head.

I have never known pain like it. It burst like the episode of Red Dwarf where Lister had Space Mumps. The burst (more of an explosion really) happened on the day we found out we were expecting twins but all I really remember was that was the day my head burst. The full story needs a couple of beers to tell properly!

I have had no lasting damage or symptoms. You have done the right thing by going to the docs.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Doc says I have a perforated ear drum but that doesn’t explain the hearing loss. Now been referred to the ENT out patients for further investigation. Quite worried now.
He said don’t let any water or anything get in your ear what ever you do. I wonder if it’s because of liquid has passed through the hole and became trapped. This creating un even pressure balance. The ear drum is suppose to heal on its own.
The physical symptoms are creating mental symptoms unfortunately.

Update to follow in a few weeks probably.

:sad:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Doc says I have a perforated ear drum but that doesn’t explain the hearing loss. Now been referred to the ENT out patients for further investigation. Quite worried now.
He said don’t let any water or anything get in your ear what ever you do. I wonder if it’s because of liquid has passed through the hole and became trapped. This creating un even pressure balance. The ear drum is suppose to heal on its own.
The physical symptoms are creating mental symptoms unfortunately.

Update to follow in a few weeks probably.

:sad:

Understandably.

Good luck at the ENT clinic and I hope they sort it.

Are you considering any help for the 'mental symptoms'? You probably should (don't take that as patronising).

GWS.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Understandably.

Good luck at the ENT clinic and I hope they sort it.

Are you considering any help for the 'mental symptoms'? You probably should (don't take that as patronising).

GWS.
No, it’s mainly just depressing and frustrating me.

Top Bottom