Loss of hearing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I've always heard high pitches noises in the background, don't know if it tinnitus or madness, or if everyone hears it. Never in the foreground though.

What's it like?
It’s just a tone that never switches off. It makes you feel unwell

I've never had an ear infection but in reply to the OP title I do suffer from hearing loss.

I was first diagnosed around 6 years ago when I was 38 with degenerative hearing loss, and told there is nothing that can be done to rectify it.

I put it down to working in hotels for the first 8 years of my working life, (discos and jukeboxes etc), and being a child of the Walkman generation. I use to wear mine all the time, even when I went to bed, it cost me a fortune in batteries when auto reverse was invented!

Anyhoo I was given a hearing aid for my right ear at that time, but I now have them for both ears. I also have slight tinnitis as well but not at a level that drives me to distraction.

My loss is in the higher frequencies and I struggle to filter background noise, in a restaurant for example converations would just be a mish mash of noise.

The aids help for the most part, but as I work with plant machinery I don't wear them for work because even though they're obviously tuned for my loss they still amplify everything which I would find too loud.

I've no direct experience of how private aids compare to mine as I couldn't afford them even I wanted them, but IMO the only reason to spend 1000's on something you can get from the NHS is vanity. An Uncle of mine bought a pair from Boots, which IIRC cost him in excess of £2k, and I know he had no end of trouble with them. Mine just work, sure they're not pretty but neither am I so that's OK :laugh:

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I've never had an ear infection but in reply to the OP title I do suffer from hearing loss.

I was first diagnosed around 6 years ago when I was 38 with degenerative hearing loss, and told there is nothing that can be done to rectify it.

I put it down to working in hotels for the first 8 years of my working life, (discos and jukeboxes etc), and being a child of the Walkman generation. I use to wear mine all the time, even when I went to bed, it cost me a fortune in batteries when auto reverse was invented!

Anyhoo I was given a hearing aid for my right ear at that time, but I now have them for both ears. I also have slight tinnitis as well but not at a level that drives me to distraction.

My loss is in the higher frequencies and I struggle to filter background noise, in a restaurant for example converations would just be a mish mash of noise.

The aids help for the most part, but as I work with plant machinery I don't wear them for work because even though they're obviously tuned for my loss they still amplify everything which I would find too loud.

I've no direct experience of how private aids compare to mine as I couldn't afford them even I wanted them, but IMO the only reason to spend 1000's on something you can get from the NHS is vanity. An Uncle of mine bought a pair from Boots, which IIRC cost him in excess of £2k, and I know he had no end of trouble with them. Mine just work, sure they're not pretty but neither am I so that's OK :laugh:
I’d have to spend the cash. I’m not looking like Ben from Eastenders. I’m hoping the hole will repair fully on its own and things will return back to normal levels. Let’s see what they find.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I’d have to spend the cash. I’m not looking like Ben from Eastenders. I’m hoping the hole will repair fully on its own and things will return back to normal levels. Let’s see what they find.
Don't know how you are fixed financially or how you feel about it nor what your local NHS waiting times are like but I have waited 8-16 weeks for appointments on the NHS it might be worth looking at a Private ENT even in London you are looking at £200-250 for 30 mins it could escalate by £150 200 @IF they stick something up your nose. They can give you GP instruction on a prescription etc. You would probably get seen in 24 hours of contacting them depending on what days they work. You don't even need a letter from your GP referring you, you can self refer.

vickster

Legendary Member
In my experience, private Consultants won’t take a self referral even if self paying? Get a GP referral, if anything it could save you money on any applicable tests that you’ve had done before

Maybe in Harley Street

Andrew_P

In between here and there
In my experience, private Consultants won’t take a self referral even if self paying? Get a GP referral, if anything it could save you money on any applicable tests that you’ve had done before

Maybe in Harley Street
I have never had a problem with it, in fact they always ask if its a self referral or GP. Sounds like I am always there but I have had a few over the last 30 months, unfortunately.

iluvmybike

Über Member
I have just used a private company called UK Hearing Care (got them through the AgeUK website). The audiologist comes to your home and carries out a very thorough set of tests. I was shown to have an impairment of the high frequency levels of hearing - I was getting unable to hear conversations if there was a lot of background noise eg in a pub or cafe and this was getting very, very frustrating and I hate havinbg to say 'sorry what did you just say' all the time. I was able to purchase the latest technology in hearing aids (NHS tends to be 'one size fits all' and not the latest stuff) to suit my particular needs. Ok it wasn't cheap but hearing like sight is so important to me and I was prepared to spend my money. And yes cosmetically I wanted something discreet too - which it is, very much so my hubby can never tell if I am wearing it. I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting that. I was not prepared to wait to a) see the GP and then b) months & months for a referral just for the testing to be carried out. I had an appointment within a week privately and the aid was ready within 2 weeks :smile:

Top Bottom