loss of muscle in my chest and arms

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
PS My hand has not changed size. I could just squeeze a roll of Selloptape over it in the past, and I can just squeeze this new roll over it now. They ARE the same size, to within a mm or two

blazed

220lb+
lean-arm-jpg.103866.jpg

Looks like blood on the wall? And an obvious sellotape fetish.

Reckon those arms have been growing from all the kidnapping you've been doing.

ayceejay

Guru
Although what those two pictures show is two extreme body types I don't see anything that proves Froome has no strength and the other guy has maximum strength.

Drago

Legendary Member
No one has suggested Froome has NO strength, or that Sigmarsson has (or had) maximum strength. Froome has at least enough to life a knife and fork.

I am suggesting there is a general correlation between muscle mass and strength. It has to be this way on order to accommodate the muscle fibres. You can't accommodate myofibrillar hypertrophy required to gain strength without those very fibres increasing size.

Show me a competitive strongman with arms like Froome, or a pro cyclist with arms like Josh Thigpen if you think weedy arms are stronger than hench arms.

Citius

Although what those two pictures show is two extreme body types I don't see anything that proves Froome has no strength and the other guy has maximum strength.

What? You don't think there's a good safe bet that Froome's arms are not as strong as the other guy's?

sight-pin

Veteran
I also think the more the muscle mass the higher the possible strength, But! having said that geezers with quite normal size arms can be immensely strong, example look at those ballet dancer guys who lift dancers and hold them full stretch with just one arm, and how about the gymnastic guys? not all them have a huge mass.

Citius

No, they're pretty weedy... ;)

Edward-Watson-1_2804631b.jpg

To be fair, ballet dancers don't need to deadlift, or clean and jerk - and (as I hope a lot of weightlifters will testify), the hard part is the lift itself, not so much holding the weight up there.

michaelcycle

So i suppose it depends on what ever training your doing as to how your physique takes shape to benefit the most.

Right - S.A.I.D (specific adaptation to imposed demands)

The likelihood that cycling results in any increase in upper body /upper limb size I find a bit questionable (not because I am disbelieving people's experience but rather I think there is a different or better explanation.)

To increase muscle mass /size / strength you need to trigger myofibrillar and / or sacroplasmic hypertrophy (although you can see an improvement in strength levels without necessarily increasing size by improving the ability of your central nervous system to handle load - neuromuscular adaptation - but at some point it needs an increase.)

To do so requires a sufficient load and to keep doing so requires the load to be progressively increased which is something that generally does not present itself in cycling in relation to the upper body even with repetitive straining and pulling on the handlebars (although there is a possibility of an increase in leg size, particularly quads and glutes to a limited degree IIRC, for new cyclists as the level of resistance they find themselves working against initially in say hill climbing is possibly high enough to cause micro tears in muscle fibres and therefore hypertrophy.)

I know it sounded obvious but the loss has shocked not only me but friends & family... Just wasn't sure if I could get it back, that lack of ability to retain upper body muscle was just a side affect of cycling I would have to endure.
I know what you mean Peter. I've lost a lot of def this year and like you, family and friends are giving off. But my AV's are great. I suppose you can't have both. Keep er lite :okay:

PS Biggest legs I've ever had :laugh:

Top Bottom