Lost and Found

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
After we moved here in 2001 I could never find my expensive full sized torque wrench, I thought I must have left it behind though I was sure I had packed it. Fast forward 14 years to when we had the garden shed demolished and there it was, propped in the corner wrapper in grease proof paper.

I'm also forever losing inner cable ferrules, only for them to turn up after I've bought another dozen (Which I then can't find till after I've bought some more).

rugby bloke

Veteran
One of the link pins on the strap of my watch has been working loose for while. I was half way round a dog walk on Wednesday when my watch fell off my wrist. When I picked it up I saw that the pin had fallen out, after a look around the immediate area I thought it must be lost somewhere in the fields and was not going to be found. When I got home I noticed it was on the side next to the back door ... I think with the right tool and a bit of gentle fettling I can probably fix it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
A similar story of lost but never refound......

Moved into a newbuild house about 12 months after getting married. Back garden wasn't a garden, it was full of rocks and weeds. So I got to work on it to at least tidy it up.
Not so used to wearing a wedding ring, I found it was digging into my skin whilst I was using a spade so I took the ring off and put it in the pocket of the shorts I was wearing. Of course, come the end of the day, having dug up loads of the garden, the ring was nowhere to be found. It had fallen out of my pocket and was somewhere in the building site of a garden.
I even got as far as borrowing a metal detector. All I found were nails and tin cans. The ring never did reappear and we turfed the whole area a few weeks later. So it's still under there somewhere and maybe the new occupants will eventually find it.

I was in the doghouse, needless to say

This is the reason why, when we got married, Mrs Gti told me not to bother with a ring for myself.

screenman

Legendary Member
Back in the eighties I put a jacket on that I had not worn for over a year, nice little find of £500 in the pocket, cannot remember to this day how I had lost it.

Had a lot of stock once and thought we had a car nicked, local copper found it a few months later parked exactly where I had forgot I parked it.Grey Austin 1100 if anyone want to know.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
This evening I found stuff that entered The Bermuda Triangle back in January. A compact camera, a charging lead, a compass and a torch. Also my favourite Faber Castell 2H pencil and a pencil sharpener. They had all been put in a small box and hidden by The Tidier :eek:.

I also found euro 230.31 in my Caxtonfx account.

Result!

screenman

Legendary Member
I would like to say I found my ozone generator yesterday,but despite a good search I did not, I have a feeling I binned it.

D

Deleted member 26715

Moved into a newbuild house about 12 months after getting married. Back garden wasn't a garden, it was full of rocks and weeds. So I got to work on it to at least tidy it up.
Sort of the same but different result, got marriage had a ring, then one day lost it despite always wearing it.thought we'd searched everywhere & eventually gave up. Moved house & about 3 years later was in the lost of the new house searching for something in the loft when I put my hand into a plastic bag with blankets in & felt a round object, pulled it out & say that it was a brass plumbing olive & was about to launch it over my shoulder, when on 2nd inspection it was my wedding ring. How it got in the bag is a complete mystery as the bag had come from my mother's house not our old house.

That was 30+ years ago & I now still have it, it's also my acid test, when it gets too tight to come off, I know it's time to start dieting & getting out on the bike more.

Slick

Guru

Not so used to wearing a wedding ring, I found it was digging into my skin whilst I was using a spade so I took the ring off and put it in the pocket of the shorts I was wearing. Of course, come the end of the day, having dug up loads of the garden, the ring was nowhere to be found. It had fallen out of my pocket and was somewhere in the building site of a garden.
I even got as far as borrowing a metal detector. All I found were nails and tin cans. The ring never did reappear and we turfed the whole area a few weeks later. So it's still under there somewhere and maybe the new occupants will eventually find it.

I was in the doghouse, needless to say

Another similar with different outcome I'm afraid.
I worked in the north sea after I got married and after 2 or 3 weeks doing 15 hour shifts every day, mistakes can happen.
I went to the bathroom and washed my hands before restarting work. I pulled my glove off and was horrified to see my wedding ring gone and frantically retraced my steps back all over the rig but with little hope as most rigs are covered in Kennedy grating and I was convinced it was now lying at the bottom of the deep north sea.
That was until I pulled off my other glove to see my ring on the wrong hand. Didn't really know if I felt more relief or embarrassment.

gbb

Legendary Member
Around 1979 I had a major/freak accident that resulted in a need for emergency plumbing repairs Inside me . I spent 2 weeks in hospital, 2 months off work and a year going easy and 10 years of minor irritating plumbing problems :laugh:
One out of hospital we realised my wedding band was missing...maybe lost In the accident, hospital....who knows, just disappeared.
Maybe 1 year later at work I was doing a stock check on parts, we had hundreds of parts bin, thousands of spares and as I lifted one high level bin down, looked inside, there was my ring :wacko:.
I knew every part, every location in that store...I also knew those parts hadn't been looked at since the last stock check...bizarre how it got there and when ?

gbb

Legendary Member
Back in the eighties I put a jacket on that I had not worn for over a year, nice little find of £500 in the pocket, cannot remember to this day how I had lost it.

Had a lot of stock once and thought we had a car nicked, local copper found it a few months later parked exactly where I had forgot I parked it.Grey Austin 1100 if anyone want to know.
1970s, a friend of a friend in Nottingham went to a Forest match and parked in a nearby side street. When he came out the car was gone. Reported stolen, insurance paid out, the guy moved on.
More than a year later....the car was found In a side street near the Forest ground. He'd originally looked in the wrong street, it had been where he left it all the time .:laugh:

D

Deleted member 26715

Around 1979 I had a major/freak accident that resulted in a need for emergency plumbing repairs Inside me . I spent 2 weeks in hospital, 2 months off work and a year going easy and 10 years of minor irritating plumbing problems :laugh:
One out of hospital we realised my wedding band was missing...maybe lost In the accident, hospital....who knows, just disappeared.
Maybe 1 year later at work I was doing a stock check on parts, we had hundreds of parts bin, thousands of spares and as I lifted one high level bin down, looked inside, there was my ring :wacko:.
I knew every part, every location in that store...I also knew those parts hadn't been looked at since the last stock check...bizarre how it got there and when ?
There was me thinking you were going to say you found the surgeons watch when you went back into hospital

Top Bottom