Lost bike lock key (cheap Dunlop lock, with cylinder shape hole)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rliu

Veteran
Hi all, foolishly lost my bike lock keys last week, I think while I was getting changed at work and they fell out of my smallest jersey pocket. Luckily my bike is in the secure car park and touch wood hasn't been nicked so far. Now as the title said it's only one of those cheap £5.99 D locks from Sports Direct, however I have tried the Bic biro method to no success. Anyone got any tips of how to make the biro method work/or any other ways to break the lock?

Tim Hall

Bolt croppers. Hacksaw.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Car jack if there is room to get a bottle jack in there.

Or pay a local ne'er do well £20 to do it for you.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Hire a battery angle grinder from any tool hire place - last time I looked they were about £15/day, although you might have to buy the cutting disc as well.
That will cut through it in well under a minute - just make sure you protect the bike with something in case of slippage.

Or, buy another £5.99 lock from Sports Direct - there is a slim chance the key might fit. I got a cheap cable lock from another discount store, just to secure my QR front wheel to the frame when using my D-lock to secure the bike. I then asked Mrs ND to get another one (from a different branch of the store in a different town) as a spare and the key was the same...now that's either a heck of a co-incidence, or it suggests that there aren't many variants of the keys

vickster

Legendary Member
Nobody in your work's works department able to help, with tools or muscle?

Try getting another Dunlop lock, I would not be surprised if they have a universal key

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Nobody in your work's works department able to help, with tools or muscle?

Try getting another Dunlop lock, I would not be surprised if they have a universal key
Maybe so, but if you're were a bike thief, you could just buy a lock set and go around looking for similar locks so seems unlikely to me personally.

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe so, but if you're were a bike thief, you could just buy a lock set and go around looking for similar locks so seems unlikely to me personally.
It's a 6 quid lock from sports direct with likely no security rating which cost 50p to manufacture ..a bike thief would just use Bolt Choppers

bruce1530

Guru
Don’t know how big the place you work is, but if it’s a reasonable size, speak to the security or maintenance people. I know that our security dept have bolt cutters etc, precisely for removing bikes from railings (or fire exits!), or for lockers with lost keys etc.

Or, if you live anywhere near me, I could lend you a set....

OP
OP
R

rliu

Veteran
Yeah I'll ask if they have cutting tools when I'm back in on Wednesday. Was curious if anybody had success with a Biro as these YouTube vids make it look a complete walkover but I tried for half an hour and couldn't do it.

I've attached a photo of the key hole.

And yes I did stupidly just use both keys as a standalone item without taking one off to put on my main keyring. Only misplaced it once in about 3 years.

The lock is against some railings that separate the car park from an internal open air courtyard.

Attachments

• IMG_20170702_224335.jpg
    IMG_20170702_224335.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 59
I've attached a photo of the key hole.
Yeah, I can see the problem. It's completely out of focus. No wonder you can't open it. :biggrin:

(sorry I don't have anything helpful to add. I had a d-lock - Abus but quite old - that I only had one key for. I used it only in secure bicycle parking, but inevitably I lost that key. It was a good lock but from around 2000. The people there had an angle grinder. It took way less than a minute to cut through. I regret not videoing it. Please film the hacking of your cheap lock. Could be quite informative.)

Top Bottom