Lost my cycling mojo...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephenb

Guru
lost mine (mojo that is) even before the clocks went back and went from around 150 miles per week to nothing just about overnight. Winter never put me off before. The missus reckoned I'd lost my nerve and I've been wondering whether I'm just too old for this lark now (47, so menopause well and truly looming). But today did my first cycle commute in nearly a month and feel absolutely fab, esp. since the tube has been awful this past week. But Cathryn & others are right FF, don't beat yourself up; you'll know when the time's right, and when it is you'll have a blast.

One thing that never fails - treat your bike.

Here is what you need:

Grease for headset
New bar tape
2x new brake cables
2x new gear cables
New chain
Halfrauds carwash solution
Halfrauds car wax

1. Take everything off your bike including bottle cages and seatpack, and the cables too, get rid of them.
  2. Wash it down with the carwash solution, take a washing up brush to the brakes and deraileurs and pedals.
  3. To clean the cassete have a good scrub at it with washing up liquid, then give it a blast of GT-85, apply more washing up liquid and scrubb again until the GT-85 has gone and it is all foamy again, then wash off.
  4. Let her dry and pop the forks out, degrease and regrease the bearings, and put back together.
  5. Re-cable, put the new chain on, re-tape the bars.
  6. Spend waaaaaaaaaaaay too long fettling the brakes and gears until perfect.
  7. Chain and wheels off.
  8. Wash frame again, but don't do the wheels.
  9. Wax on, oh yes, much much waxing.
  10. Chain and wheels back on.
  11. Stand back and admire...

If you don't want to ride after spending so much "special time" with your bike, I have nothing to cure you! :blush:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Ooor errr, well bend over then mate.

More seriously, don't worry about it and don't feel any guilt if you don't ride for a bit. It's probably this time of year, I feel a bit the same way and have taken up some running to replace the rides I'm missing.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Thanks guys

Have been on the Turbo a couple of times and that's about it, also went running, but not really getting great deal of benefit. Just feel like slobbing around a while. Just heard that our new family wagon is due in a couple of weeks...we'll be down to 1 car then so I'm gonna have to start again soon otherwise I'll be going nowhere...including work!
Think I'll enjoy the rest...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just think about getting wet going to the bus/train and not being able to get dry.... I've dumped a nice comfortable car with all mod cons for the bike...., would I go back nah... I'll drive it a little at weekends..

Sometimes you think, argh got to get up to ride, then... it's just the same if you bus/train/car.... but you'll get to work alive, not half asleep, and get utmost respect cycling in the cold from work mates.... got told today by a colleague who thought total respect, did tell him about modern clothing technology..... still thought I was crazy !

bonj2

Go on a longer more leisurely ride, on some routes you don't normally go on, with some music on the mp3 player, make it a bit of an adventure. And don't count giving up as an option - once you've set off you complete the ride, end of. No 'early out' 'cos you're bored, a lot of rides start off boring and get better. Like mine today, started off a bit shite 'cos I went to an area I didn't know, underestimated a hill, got disheartened, and then encountered a road where there shouldn't have been a road, so was lost and a bit frustrated, but I headed back and rode round where I knew better and it was great.
Another tip - either hunt down some other cyclists to overtake/or some roads where you won't BE overtaken by other cyclists. depending on your speed. :sad:
Go on an early morning sunrise/sunset ride, so you get to see some dramatic skies. For me today it would have been quite a humdrum ride but for the mist on the moors and the music i had on, that really made it.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Mojo still not happening yet, though this evening I had wished I'd been home to go with my regular Sunday night crew,but I was blatting back from a w/e in London (mind you, so nice by the London Eye this afternoon I'd wished I'd had me bike).
It will return I'm sure, but it's been nearly 4 weeks since I've pedalled in anger or even fettled the old steed.
Who knows, maybe next week. Need to do something, belly's growing!
Thanks for encouragement and also the empathy.

Kovu

Über Member
I had same problem a few months ago (still havent got over it, but going on one on monday, no doutb about it!) and the best bit of advice i got was one of two things, 1.) ride when your angry, nothing gets rid of it better than being in pain. 2.) Just fo

FF - have you tried literally just tucking your trousers into your socks, and pedalling round the block once?

SilverSurfer

Well my mojo has well and truly gone, and I think it may be - well if not permanent, certainly long lasting.

Thing is my life has changed a lot over the last few years, 2 young kids are now eating up most of my spare time. When I have a minute I honestly feel like doing nothing as I am exhausted.

I do spinning and gym work in my lunch hour so after work, feeding and entertaining kids, last thing I want to do is wear myself down on the bike just to say that I have done something.

If you aren't enjoying something anymore I always think it is best to walk away from it and return when you feel ready to, rather than forcing yourself to.

Same thing happened a few years ago with playing guitar and only now do I feel like playing again, when previously I played all the time.

Top Bottom