Lost my nerve :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maylian

Veteran
Got to admit I had two offs this morning because I've never really cycled in icy conditions before and a change of location for work this week means new roads. Some nice spills and entirely my fault but hopefully just means I'm better prepared next week when I'm cycling again at 5.30am and its icy everywhere still.

Reactions: MoG
I'M still nursing a couple of cracked ribs from a fall on ice some weeks ago. It still makes me wince when I sneeze.

I'm riding in this cold spell, but in moderation.

I was outside at 0530 this morning (not for a ride). Thickly frosted windows on the cars and thick ice (again) on the water butts.

No way would I want to ride today before 1000 or 1030.

Your response to the weather sounds like good sense to me. That's not a loss of nerve. :smile:

D

Deleted member 22722

With the onset of the icy mornings i've reluctantly hung up my road bike until the new year. Dug out my 7 year old mountain bike that feels about as heavy as a tank and invested in some Marathon Winter studded tyres. I've cycled into work the last 2 days in conditions that I never thought I'd see myself cycling in and although it's harder work with the heavier bike and slower tyres i'm a lot more confident than I would have been on my road bike.

I still take it easier than normal though and the extra 5-10 minutes this adds onto my commute is negligible, if I get to my destination in one piece.

Sandra6

Veteran
Fortunately, being a lady, you have nothing to prove:thumbsup:
I'm considering hoofing it on the icier days myself.
Take a break until the weather is on your side again. Just don't wait for the summer!

Have come off once myself this year. Dust yourself off and get back on. Just take it a little more steady in these conditions and don't feel pressurised by other road users. It's not unusual for a lot of riders to get "caught out" in the 1st freezing spells of the year. :cold:

Days when there's ice about I put the bike away. Having fallen off a few times down the various icy winters of my younger days, I came to the conclusion that every 'off' was like rolling a die and that sooner or later I was going to break either myself or my bike. I'd rather not take that particular risk!

BSRU

A Human Being
I would not take the risk of riding in icy or potentially icy conditions on my normal bike, three years ago I invested in studded tyres and they do a great job, no worrying about ice when using them.

Milo

Guru
It staggers me that at the onset of winter so few road users are prepared for the conditions car drivers as well as cyclists. It is not as if winter is unpredictable, it happens every year and still the same ignorance and foolishness takes place whether on bikes or in cars. Get the right kit for the conditions - winter tyres with studs in the case of bicylces and for cars winter tyres and chains if it snows. Simples. It is not as if any of this winter kit is hard to get or particularly expensive, it is not. People are basically muppets blaming the road conditions. The only thing they should blame is themselves. Fail to prepare and prepare to fail. Sorry to be blunt but it is true.
Winter tyres cheap? jog right on with that comment. I would love to be able to just throw 80 quid on a set of tyres, but can't. Thankfully I can avoid the worst of the weather with the times I travel in and out of work.

BSRU

A Human Being
Winter tyres cheap? jog right on with that comment. I would love to be able to just throw 80 quid on a set of tyres, but can't. Thankfully I can avoid the worst of the weather with the times I travel in and out of work.
You have to consider whether £80 is expensive compared to being off the bike due to a fall(including any repairs) and the pain of any injuries.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Having to watch the pennies so would also find £80 too much at the moment. I sympathise with those that are commuting in this weather. Fortunately my cycling is for pleasure only and we are currently going through a really cold spell so the bikes haven't been touched for two weeks now. Afraid I find no pleasure in cycling in sub zero temperatures and on icy roads. Here's my current area's forecast...........below freezing the entire day!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2651983

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Just for the record, you don't have to spend £80 – I ordered my Marathon Winters a couple of weeks ago via German site actionsports.de, and the cost was £54 delivered (and the Snow Studs are even cheaper). Whilst I fully appreciate that is still a lot of money, I ended up deciding (with help from the lovely folks here on CC) that it was worth investing so that I could continue to commute through the winter months, and I also expect to get a few years out them which reduces the financial impact somewhat. Plus with a 28.6 mile daily round trip, I'll continue to save money by not having to put diesel in the car :thumbsup:

It's my first winter commuting, but the studded Marathon Winters have been a revelation – yes, ice still commands respect, but they have kept me upright when I'd definitely have been on my back-side had I risked taking the road bike, or stuck with my normal Conti Touring Plus tyres.

pshore

Take up Mountain Biking. You learn to handle your bike in slippery conditions, learn how to read the terrain and spot what's doable or not, and when you fall off while learning it is often slow speed and onto soft ground.

I'm not saying it will save you from black ice, but you might just prevent getting into bad situations in the first place.

Top Bottom