Lost my nerve :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

Sorry about the off, Bugster, take it easy and get on at your own pace. +1 to studs, though they don't make you invulnerable, just less susceptible to being caught out by an unexpected patch of ice if you are already being careful.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ouch.

To all those crashing on ice, if it's ICY and you don't have studded tyres, don't ride the ruddy bike ! Simples. £50-£60ish for a set of studs that will last you years. Cheaper than a few trips A&E with busted bones.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Sorry about the off, Bugster, take it easy and get on at your own pace. +1 to studs, though they don't make you invulnerable, just less susceptible to being caught out by an unexpected patch of ice if you are already being careful.

Another vote for studs, they're great (necessary here in Switzerland). As Norm wrote, they can't make you circumvent the laws of physics, but do a pretty good job of keeping you vertical.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sorry to hear about this Buggi.
It's always hard to get motivated to ride again after an off, whatever type of off it is.
Had one a couple of sunday's back. Just turning slowly left when hit some diesel. down and ouch. The brand new bike now has a nice reminder for me and I have a nice uncooked hamburger looky likey on my arse.

Big hugs to ya...

biking_fox

Guru
Depends where you're riding really. As an urban commuter doing 6 miles through the city centre there's absolutely no need for heavy expensive studded tyres. 1.0" slicks work just fine - but you do have to take it more carefully which is the case when it's cold anyway.

Nerve is a tricky thing, but the only way to get it back is to ride through it.There's always something you can come off from, if not ice, then mud or leaves or wet metal or painted lines. Maybe start in daylight, and only do it oneway till you're more confident again. It does come back, but can dominate you if you're too afraid of it.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
How icy does it need to be for marathon winter tyres to go on the bike? I am thinking of getting some, but only have one bike and one set of wheels, so once they are on they will stay on until the spring. Will I wear them out using them when it is dry or will I just slow down (not that that is possible!)

I've got some Marathon WInters. Haven't bothered fitting them to the commuter bike yet. I was out to work at 06.45hrs today and it was very frosty and white but there was no snow or ice about on the roads. Decided to take the naked road bike with skinny slicks so I could have long ride on the way home this afternoon. Took it steady on corners and the like but not much different to riding in the wet really. The studded tyres will get an outing when there is snow/sleet/ice/frozen slush lying about (and a great job they make of it).

AFAIC you need to get back on and have a nice steady ride. Check the road surface ahead and position accordingly, use gritted roads and keep away from the edge and metalwork.

Falls can happen at anytime if you are not careful. Here's mine when I forgot studded tyres are no good on dusty concrete!

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Buggi, really sorry to hear it :sad: I reckon you need a couple of rides this weekend non commuting midday and it is due ot be mild so no icey roads. You just need to get yer confidence back a few rides and it will come flooding back. The hardest thing is the first few pedals. Bon Voyage.. If I were local I would ahve offer to come out with you.

D

Deleted member 1258

Came off my bike on slippy mud slide of a road three weeks ago. Hip still hurting although the surface bruising has gone.:B) 5 more cyclists at work have come off on either mud or ice, one resulting in a fractured wrist, and even my die-hard cyclist friend, who normally rides all through the winter, has also come off. I've completely lost my nerve :sad: and it doesn't help that my die-hard cyclist friend has hung his bike up for the next week or so because of this weather :cold: .

If he's scared, what hope have I got ??? :unsure:

Bad luck, its just normal twitchyness after a fall, it'll go after you've had a few rides, I was the same after my last off in 2007, I got clipped by a ford focus.

Oldspice

I think i know how you feel. Since coming off at a corner last week i have been having heart palpitations every time the road colour changes. It's the first time i have ever had a off while cycling, and tarmac is not a springy as i imagined it to be.

Go at your own pace, remember cycling is supposed to be fun and relaxing.

Norm

How icy does it need to be for marathon winter tyres to go on the bike? I am thinking of getting some, but only have one bike and one set of wheels, so once they are on they will stay on until the spring. Will I wear them out using them when it is dry or will I just slow down (not that that is possible!)
They are meant to be winter tyres, not just ice tyres, and pumping them to 60-odd psi they'll roll just like any other fattish tyre, but with a funny buzzing noise attached. :biggrin:

At least one on here (@Fossyant, IIRC) has run the same set of tyres for 4 winters, they don't wear out any faster than any other rubber tyre. You'll struggle to wear out the studs, I reckon.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I'm nursing cracked ribs from a recent crash (not weather related) and I too have been taking it very, very carefully on the slippy roads.

We can say 'man up' and all that macho hoo-hah, but riding on roads where there's a likelihood of black ice isn't much fun at all. I can easily understand the urge to garage the bike 'til it thaws.

Meanwhile, I've decided to invest in a pair of Marathon Winter tyres, after hearing Fossyant rave about them. Just for a bit of peace of mind.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
They are meant to be winter tyres, not just ice tyres, and pumping them to 60-odd psi they'll roll just like any other fattish tyre, but with a funny buzzing noise attached. :biggrin:

At least one on here (@Fossyant, IIRC) has run the same set of tyres for 4 winters, they don't wear out any faster than any other rubber tyre. You'll struggle to wear out the studs, I reckon.

Cheers, think I will order some, though everywhere with a half decent price in the UK are out of stock, may try the German site mentioned earlier

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Okay, next idiot question. My current tyres are 700 x 38c. I presume I need to get the 40c tyres and not the 35c? Or do I have to get the snow stud ones which are 700 x 38c?

GrasB

Veteran
Okay, next idiot question. My current tyres are 700 x 38c. I presume I need to get the 40c tyres and not the 35c? Or do I have to get the snow stud ones which are 700 x 38c?
Any of those sizes will do just fine. I'd tend to err on the side of smaller with studded tyres, this means that there's marginally more pressure on the studs when they make contact with the ice & also studded tyres need a bit more tyre clearance which the smaller size helps with, a little.

Top Bottom