Lost The Mojo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Had only just bought a new one :sad:
MTFU then

You could try an indoor activity like swimming or gym classes to cross train alongside the turbo and work on your fitness

Get out and enjoy your life and your ability to ride a bicycle.

I know we all moan about the weather in the U.K., but I genuinely enjoy the changing seasons. Riding in the cold and damp has its attractions and it certainly makes you appreciate the Spring when it eventually gets here.
Very true.

I have spent a lot of time in the Med and, "wonderful" as the weather is, they do miss the British seasons, which I tend to think are good for the mind - taking a delight in the particular pleasures of each one. So there is hardly "good" or "bad weather". The autumn colours seemed to last a long time this year.

vickster

Legendary Member
Dunno. I seem to spend every winter on the exercise bike / in the gym following some sort of orthopaedic surgery. True to form, it'll be the same this winter.

I manage to stay fit enough to get back on the bike when able/allowed

I don't much like riding in the dark, heebie jeebies made worse having been knocked off at 6pm on a dark February and a dislike of cold and wet. I ride for enjoyment not masochism. The roads are rarely quiet around here, the dark just turns drivers into bigger numpties

D

Deleted member 26715

You are not the only one, I get up at 6:15, drive in the dark to the office, leave at 16:30 drive home in the dark, get home at 18:00 when it's still dark, take the dog for a walk in the dark, get back at 19:00 to be honest, the last thing I want to do is go back out in the dark.

screenman

Legendary Member
I leave home in the dark at 6.55 each morning, 35 minutes later I am in a nice warm well lit swimming pool . 60 minutes after that I have had a good workout and I am ready for whatever the day throws at me.

OP
OP
mk6golf

mk6golf

You are not the only one, I get up at 6:15, drive in the dark to the office, leave at 16:30 drive home in the dark, get home at 18:00 when it's still dark, take the dog for a walk in the dark, get back at 19:00 to be honest, the last thing I want to do is go back out in the dark.

I leave for work at 5:15am to start at 6am. That's driving. Start at 6am, finish at 6pm then drive home and in the door by 6:45pm.

Summer time I used to get the bike out about 3:45am for an hour or 10pm. You're right, I need to mtfu :sad:

It's only dark. Think I'm scared about being knocked off.

I work with the emergency services and see a lot of it......

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I suspect that working 12 hour winter shifts using up all available daylight might possibly be part of the problem ... :whistle:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

That could give you an odd perception of the risk. "83% of pedal cyclist collisions occurred in daylight in 2015, with 17% recorded in darkness – equating to 189 collisions in daylight, and a 40 in darkness. Daylight collisions showed an increase against the average of 6%, with darkness collisions showing a reduction of 15%." - that's from Reported Road Casualties Norfolk 2015 and I expect there's a similar report from neighbouring Suffolk.

It's only dark and it means you can usually see cars coming more easily because it all lights up in front of them.

D

Deleted member 26715

That could give you an odd perception of the risk.
It certainly could, just like the numbers you have quoted, unless you also add how many cyclists ride in the daytime & how many ride when it's dark.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It certainly could, just like the numbers you have quoted, unless you also add how many cyclists ride in the daytime & how many ride when it's dark.
Sure. I'm just trying to rebalance things, as I think the text made clear!

Does current data about how many UK cyclists ride in the daytime v the dark exist? I can't think of a source. In the Netherlands, the risk increase for late-night darkness allegedly seems to be 5 to 10%. Pre-dawn and dusk (including commuter peaks?) is higher but still only a 30% increase on what is a very small risk because cycling is pretty safe.

simon.r

Person
I wear reflective clothing and have at least 2 lights on each end of the bike and I feel safer when it's dark.

I have no statistics to back this up, but I'm certain I sufffer fa lot less close passes and SMIDSYs at night.

screenman

Legendary Member
I leave for work at 5:15am to start at 6am. That's driving. Start at 6am, finish at 6pm then drive home and in the door by 6:45pm.

Summer time I used to get the bike out about 3:45am for an hour or 10pm. You're right, I need to mtfu :sad:

Well I would imagine that you only do a 4 day week, so that leaves you ( gets calculator) 3 days to do something, if you really want to.

Top Bottom