lots of crying depressed girls walking around college

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Having spent several hours of the small hours comforting my apopletic and bawling daughter who seems to have suffered a complete breakdown during her AS English exam yesterday despite having worked her nuts off and put-in a lot of self-motivated revision time. I've a mind to tell some of you to Fcuk-off.

There are those that set themselves (not by us) high standards and a will to achieve and sometimes it genuinely goes wrong. Sadly there seems a lot more pressure on kids to do well than there was in my day, the world's a tougher place and they know it. For all their swagger and bravado, they're still pretty young and it's a tense time.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Thought this was another thread about Blazed losing his mobile when i read the title.

mangaman

montage said:
...all complaining about how bad their exams went.

Best comforting words people? :biggrin:
haha....if only I wasn't so busy with exams myself, not that I am much of an opportunist myself to be honest.:smile:

When you say how their exams went - do you mean the results? Presumably they haven't been marked yet. I'm guessing there are a lot of people moaning about their exam wihout knowing the results?

Everyone comes out of an exam thinking they could have done so-and-so better.

If they have all actually had their results and done poorly then they got what they deserved.

Maz

Guru
Fab Foodie said:
Having spent several hours of the small hours comforting my apopletic and bawling daughter who seems to have suffered a complete breakdown during her AS English exam yesterday despite having worked her nuts off and put-in a lot of self-motivated revision time....
Maybe you've said this to her already. In my experience (having done A-level Spanish at evening classes), AS's are not the end of the world. If she goes on to do A2 English, she can make up for lost points on the AS, to increase her overall grade.

mangaman

Maz said:
Maybe you've said this to her already. In my experience (having done A-level Spanish at evening classes), AS's are not the end of the world. If she goes on to do A2 English, she can make up for lost points on the AS, to increase her overall grade.

Also - presumably she doesn't know her mark - as i said - maybe she'll get an A?

Maz

Guru
mangaman said:
Also - presumably she doesn't know her mark - as i said - maybe she'll get an A?
Exactly! Results won't be out until second week in August, I think (always on a Thursday, as I recall).

Fab Foodie

Maz said:

Thanks Maz, of course I've told her all that stuff, I'm an expert at failing but have made an OK fist of life...
But the point here is that the concientious and hard working kids that want to do well, have eat slept and drunk these exams over the last few months and of course they're devastated when it goes wrong ( or they think it's gone wrong), and for many it will have. Of course it's not the end of the world, but for them for a while it seems like it. It's not nice to think yourself a failiure.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Fab Foodie said:
Thanks Maz, of course I've told her all that stuff, I'm an expert at failing but have made an OK fist of life...
But the point here is that the concientious and hard working kids that want to do well, have eat slept and drunk these exams over the last few months and of course they're devastated when it goes wrong ( or they think it's gone wrong), and for many it will have. Of course it's not the end of the world, but for them for a while it seems like it. It's not nice to think yourself a failiure.

I have sympathy for those at school/college/sixth form as it's an environment where things are taken far too seriously, pressurised and very little input from the outside world so people get convinced into thinking things they wouldn't otherwise to such a huge extent. It seems worse in that they are done more or less every year of school now.

Fab Foodie

marinyork said:
I have sympathy for those at school/college/sixth form as it's an environment where things are taken far too seriously, pressurised and very little input from the outside world so people get convinced into thinking things they wouldn't otherwise to such a huge extent. It seems worse in that they are done more or less every year of school now.

Absolutely. It's terribly relentless :biggrin:
There is also a big jump in workload and expectation from GCSE to A's as well.
In addition, if you do Art as my daughter does, the amount of time and effort needed for course project work and final submissions is pretty significant. It's opened my eyes, it's no doss subject.

Your sympathy is appreciated marinyork.

darkstar

Fab Foodie said:
Absolutely. It's terribly relentless :biggrin:
There is also a big jump in workload and expectation from GCSE to A's as well.
In addition, if you do Art as my daughter does, the amount of time and effort needed for course project work and final submissions is pretty significant. It's opened my eyes, it's no doss subject.

Your sympathy is appreciated marinyork.
OK now you won't like me saying this Foodie, but A levels from my experience aren't particularly taxing. I agree the step up from GCSE to A level is significant, but thousands of kids go through A levels every year, most of which don't cry. I did mine 3/4 years ago now and the average girl who was upset after an exam, hadn't worked hard enough revising for the exams and didn't turn up to lessens. Just my experiences though.

Crankarm

Guru
If students have worked hard throughout the year and done a decent amount of revision in good time rather than having skipped assignments and classes, cramming revision in at the end, then they should be fine. Exams are then just a breeze. There are so many drama queens whether it's on X-Factor, the football field or Big Brother. Youngsters at GCSE O and A level age have hormones flying around their bodies and copy the behviour of their role models from junk programmes on TV. Is it any wonder they behave as they do when they feel they haven't done well in an exam and feel their worlds' are imploding?

ASC1951

Guru
Fab Foodie said:
Absolutely. It's terribly relentless :sad:
It was 40 years ago too. I reckon I did exams that mattered, every year from when I was 13 to when I was 22.

Of course that was before the days of mobile phones and t'interweb. My parents' refusal to buy a TV helped as well.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
This thread just confirms what you think when you are a lad: that girls are basically soppy and daft. And that is with all due respect to Fab Foodie: if it was your son you'd just take him down the pub and it would be forgotten in five minutes. The only solution with a girl is probably to bung her 200 quid so she can go and get even more shoes she doesn't need.

Top Bottom