lots of crying depressed girls walking around college

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
summerdays said:
Geography is a great subject.... but forgotten so long ago... (from one who studied it). I think that is one of the ironies of it all ... how much we use what we have actually learned as opposed to using the learning skills that we did whilst studying these subjects.

I didn't do this for GCSE, picked it up for A level on a whim and I really love it. Best subject I have ever studied. The exam is hard, easily cover more pages of A4 in it than history or politics which are essay based exams - but let's be honest, it's not the hardest thing on the planet!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
ChrisKH said:
Me and Mrs. KH still have exam nightmares ( sit down, turn over paper, and don't recognise what's in it) and we haven't taken any in 20 years. I remember having an out of body experience in my CSE Mathematics in May 1979. Fortunately I was only taking it as practice for the O-level.

My last exam was 32 years ago. I had an exam nightmare three weeks ago. They don't happen every year, but they always come at the end of May. The strange thing is that I don't remember being that stressed out.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
summerdays said:
What subjects did you change from and to?

further maths which i dropped down to maths, physics and politics to politics (the only same one) history geology and geography

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Delftse Post said:
Isn't there talk of Universities disregarding A level retake? I thought I'd seen somewhere that they were considering only taking into account "first time" marks.

oxbridge + some medic/lawyers etc

U

User169

summerdays said:
Geography is a great subject.... but forgotten so long ago... (from one who studied it). I think that is one of the ironies of it all ... how much we use what we have actually learned as opposed to using the learning skills that we did whilst studying these subjects.

"Roche moutonee" - sounds great, but can't remember what on earth it is.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
montage said:
(from somebody who is going on to study geography!)

Here's a tip if you go on to study geography at Aberystwyth. The library does in fact consist of more than just that old pile of atlases on the ground floor. The main geography section is in fact upstairs- don't leave it until half way through your 3rd year to find that out!:laugh:

I still get nightmares about exams even though it's 150 years or so since my A levels. Strangley, I found O levels more nerve racking- I guess maybe cos they were the first 'important' exams I took. Also, it always seemed cruel to make us do exams in summer when ideally we should have been out enjoying the sun, getting bladdered and chasing loose women (and that's just for the 11+). November seems like a more suitably depressing time of year for exams to me!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
darkstar said:
OK now you won't like me saying this Foodie, but A levels from my experience aren't particularly taxing. I agree the step up from GCSE to A level is significant, but thousands of kids go through A levels every year, most of which don't cry. I did mine 3/4 years ago now and the average girl who was upset after an exam, hadn't worked hard enough revising for the exams and didn't turn up to lessens. Just my experiences though.

Sorry darkstar, but some of that depends how smart you are... some kids however hard they work and study and revise will find A-levels a struggle.

There are many that have 100% attendence, work hard and still find it difficult. Some also react differently to the stress of the situation, some thrive, some go under. Yes, there are some prima-donnas but there are those for whom the upset is very genuine and I'm pretty appalled by the attitude of many here frankly... I expected better.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Crankarm said:
If students have worked hard throughout the year and done a decent amount of revision in good time rather than having skipped assignments and classes, cramming revision in at the end, then they should be fine. Exams are then just a breeze. There are so many drama queens whether it's on X-Factor, the football field or Big Brother. Youngsters at GCSE O and A level age have hormones flying around their bodies and copy the behviour of their role models from junk programmes on TV. Is it any wonder they behave as they do when they feel they haven't done well in an exam and feel their worlds' are imploding?

:laugh:

darkstar

Fab Foodie said:
Sorry darkstar, but some of that depends how smart you are... some kids however hard they work and study and revise will find A-levels a struggle.

There are many that have 100% attendence, work hard and still find it difficult. Some also react differently to the stress of the situation, some thrive, some go under. Yes, there are some prima-donnas but there are those for whom the upset is very genuine and I'm pretty appalled by the attitude of many here frankly... I expected better.
Thats fair enough, the one thing i despise is the pressure of 'required grades' published by uni's. Many of them accept lower, it's just to keep up with the other uni's. This piles on the pressure to do well. My cousin aspires to be a doctor and NEEDS to get A*'s for the science subjects, which is ridiculous. I think if he gets A's in his A levels it should not matter whether he gets a A or an A* in his GCSE's. Such a young age to be concerned about careers prospects.

Maz

Guru
Crankarm said:
If students have worked hard throughout the year and done a decent amount of revision in good time rather than having skipped assignments and classes, cramming revision in at the end, then they should be fine. Exams are then just a breeze. There are so many drama queens whether it's on X-Factor, the football field or Big Brother. Youngsters at GCSE O and A level age have hormones flying around their bodies and copy the behviour of their role models from junk programmes on TV. Is it any wonder they behave as they do when they feel they haven't done well in an exam and feel their worlds' are imploding?
Erm, yeah, that's how it works. It all makes perfect sense when you put it like that.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
darkstar said:
My cousin aspires to be a doctor and NEEDS to get A*'s for the science subjects, which is ridiculous. I think if he gets A's in his A levels it should not matter whether he gets a A or an A* in his GCSE's. Such a young age to be concerned about careers prospects.

I've a friend who's been an admissions tutor in engineering ... the problem they have is that so many candidate are being predicted to get all A's across the board that they are having to find other ways to differentiate between them.

ChrisKH said:
Me and Mrs. KH still have exam nightmares ( sit down, turn over paper, and don't recognise what's in it) and we haven't taken any in 20 years. I remember having an out of body experience in my CSE Mathematics in May 1979. Fortunately I was only taking it as practice for the O-level.

I have something like this - knowing you're entered for an exam that you've not studied for and have no hope of ever knowing enough to answer...

Top Bottom