Loud freehub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeorgeSteele

Hi, I'm replacing the free hub on my mavic ksyrium elite wheels. However I'm wanting a hub that's abit louder than what's already on. Can anyone recommend a louder freehub that doesn't break the bank? Thanks

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome: There's nothing quite as satisfying (some think, YMMV) as the feedback of a loud freehub to tell you (and those you're riding with) that you're freewheeling. :rolleyes:
Campagnolo freehubs are notoriously noisy: you'd need to change a few other items thobut.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can't go 'louder' without a new hub (basically a new wheel). You can 'soften' a loud hub if you can service a hub, and are pepared for additional gunk.

How loud is loud ? Oh and old folk can't even hear 'bells' being rang... they can see you, move to the side, then comment 'no bell'. ??

I have a Superstar V6 and it's noisy as hell, but no old folk will hear it.

PS road bikes should be silent..

I've silent XT MTB hubs and Silent Dura Ace Hubs. I've clicky Mavic hubs, and down right noisy Superstar hubs that are on off road wheels that might warn a dosy walker before the 'bell' gets dinged.....

HOW ARE YOUR EARS ?

Big John

Guru
The bike charity where i work has a drawerful of used freehubs removed from old wheels. It really is surprising how many different types there are, as I'm sure you know. I always think if you can find one to fit then it's a bonus. To find one that fits AND meets your noise requirements is a big ask. Your best bet is a new hub, a noisy one if that's your thing. I've got a set of Reynolds Solitude and when freewheeling they can be heard in the next street. You either buy another wheel with a noisy freehub or you find the hub you want and either build a wheel around it or get someone who can. It could be an expensive exercise just for a noisy wheel.

Why on earth would anyone want a loud freehub? Is it because it sounds expensive? Anything that uses two sprung ratchet plates, rather than pawls, will be loud enough to wake the dead.

In the early days of ROHLOFF one of the criticisms from the "why do you want something like that" brigade was that they were too noisy when freewheeling!

a.twiddler

Veteran
Is the OP in the "loud freehubs save lives" camp like some motorbikers with their "loud pipes" ditto..? (You can get a T shirt with that on). We are all different and if someone wants a raucous freewheel well why not, it's his bike. It would irritate the bejasus out of me, but since all my bikes were bought used, the fact that they're quiet is more by accident than design. I like freewheeling, I like to be stealthy (says the recumbent rider, without irony) and if it's quiet. all the better. YMMV.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Hope hubs used to be particularly loud.

I have a Hope hub and, while it's a bit "tickier" than a Shimano on one, it's not one of those really loud ones. You can tell while wheeling about inside but it doesn't make much difference on the road.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
why bother searching for a loud freehub .....
1704199711220.jpeg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
why bother searching for a loud freehub .....
View attachment 717688

I think to appeal to the target demographic that plastic needs a bit of "carbon" mixed in with it ;)

Each to their own but I've never understood this desire for loud freehubs.. indeed the first thing I noticed when I got back on my gravel bike after some time was how bloody invasive and irritating this noise was. By contrast getting back onto my near-silent tourer brought blissful peace and quiet :tongue:

Last edited:
Top Bottom