Loud rear wheel/cassette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DanPrice

Hi,

This is a question for a friend of mine.

Hes recently started road cycling along with myself after changing cycling disciplines.

He really liked the sound of his Chris King cassette hubs on his BMX (whilst rolling) and is now after a louder cassette for his rear wheel on his road bike.

Am i right in saying its the cassette and not the wheels that need changing to make the loud noise whilst rolling?

If so can someone point me in the right direction as to which cassette he needs please?

At the moment he uses the stock SRAM 10 speed cassette which came stock on his Mavic Aksium wheelset.

If anyone can help that would be great,

Thanks

RedBike

No, it's the freehub (In effect the rear hub) than needs changing.

Might be worth looking at the Hope Pro 3 (This is a road hub). Not cheap though. Mind you I can't think of any budgte Sram/Shimano wheels that have a load click. Irronically Shimano tend to make their hubs silent!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
HLaB said:
I've not had enough bikes to say if its right but IMLE my Shimano stuff is silent as RedBike says. The rear hub on my Askiums is fairly noisy but most noisy is my campy rear.
Pretty much correct I think.
Shimano hubs are quiet, Campagnolo hubs have that lovely clicking sound and other hubs sound like they sound. some quiet some louder. My Ultegra are stealthy silent, my Reynolds are seriously loud... The Reynolds noise can be a bit wearing after a while, but it's useful in a pace-line to have clicky hubs as you get an additional signal that somebody has stopped pedaling for a few seconds and that can be useful.

bonj2

my shimano road hub isn't completely silent. quiet, yes but not silent. drowned out by tyre noise though most of the time on the road, can only hear it to spin it in the garage when stationary.

On the mtb i've got a hope pro2 hub. AT the weekend i went for a ride with my mate and was riding along next to him chatting, if i was going faster i had to actually brake while pedalling, because if i freewheeled we couldn't possibly hear what each other was saying.

Mr Pig

I have Mavic MTB hubs that make more noise than any Shimano hub I've used. Have to say though, odd request! I want my bike to make more noise!!

What about the old lolly stick on the spokes trick, that should be loud enough for him? ;0)

Big John

Guru
I'd have to agree with Fab Foodie. I've got a set of Reynolds Solitude and they're seriously noisey. So.........£350 for a set of Solitudes or a lollipop stick? Which is it to be?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Personally prefer silent to noisy, some of the bikes on the night ride were very loud when free wheeling. Kind of interrupts the ambience for me.

GilesM

Legendary Member
For loud hubs, Hope seem to have it sorted, both my MTBs have Hope pro 2 hubs, no good for sneaking up on people, but perfect for letting slower riders know you are behind them on single track descents.

fudgedog

My Ultegra + Fulcrum 7 sounds like noisy fishing reel when free wheeling lbs says it's normal ? the bikes 2 weeks old, does it bed in after a while or would some oil silence it a bit

Top Bottom