Love it or hate it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
mudsticks said:
Gosh, it's so simple, I reckon even you could manage it.

Basically you put your cleaned chosen 'erb, in a decent quality oil.

Leave out in direct sunlight for a week or two..

Turning regularly - perhaps even daily, if you're of an interventionist mindset.

Then store normally until ready to use for salad dressings, bread dipping, or rub it in all over, post bike ride embrocation.
In the UK??? We're lucky if we get direct sunlight for a DAY or two! :sun::rain::sun::heat::rain::snowball:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
In the UK??? We're lucky if we get direct sunlight for a DAY or two! :sun::rain::sun::heat::rain::snowball:

Ah yes i forgot to mention , one has to decamp to st Tropez whilst 'erbalizing.

But seeing as one is likely to be in residence, hob'nobbering' for the summer season anyhow .. :rolleyes:

Or move to sunny Devon, where its warm all the time, but actually please don't, cos we're full up already..

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
How does one make infused oils?
You plonk your flavouring in the oil and leave it for ages. It's common to do this with oregano, roseamry, chilli, garlic, whatever you want really. If you're using it for salads then use a good quality virgin oil. If for cooking, then cheaper (non-virgin) will be fine.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Keep them in your back pocket on the bike.

You can lob them at errant drivers, like my friend used to do with his spent D-cell batteries back in the 1990s, or just leave them enigmatically under the tyres of badly-parked vehicles.

Katherine

Guru
I'm jealous of your dymo embosser and I don't even know what it is

I rescued my dad's when clearing his things.

That label must be decades old.
PSX_20190925_171824.jpg

It still works.
PSX_20190925_171626.jpg

As you can see, if you make a mistake, you don't find out until you have finished the word!
PSX_20190925_172101.jpg

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
mudsticks.JPG
Aren't they just the greatest??

They bring out an overwhelming, nay irresistible, urge to label anything, and everything..

However inane, and pointless :hyper:
The problem with those Dymos was that the sticky stuff gave up the ghost pretty quickly. You need one of these.....but buy no-name bootleg tape cartridges if you want to avoid bankruptcy.

They make very good herb, and spice jars on account of the darkened glass.

For a nice retro 70's feel, print out the contents on your dymo embosser, to stick on your jars, and then screw the lids* to the underside of your kitchen cabinets.

* AFAIK this activity was a prerequisite of being anyones grandpa-with-a-shed before the 1980's.

The same method has been lovingly recreated, as a tribute, here in the barn workshop.

Im jelous of your dymo embo
I rescued my dad's when clearing his things.

That label must be decades old.
View attachment 486586

It still works.
View attachment 486587

As you can see, if you make a mistake, you don't find out until you have finished the word!
View attachment 486588

Marvellous

I have ACTUALLY seen one of those but not for millions of years

My daughters talked me into shelling out £17 in Lidl’s about 10 years ago for a similar machine to the one posted by @slowmotion which was used once!

And they never paid me back although there were promises made before purchase

I will dig it out for the crack I think

You plonk your flavouring in the oil and leave it for ages. It's common to do this with oregano, roseamry, chilli, garlic, whatever you want really. If you're using it for salads then use a good quality virgin oil. If for cooking, then cheaper (non-virgin) will be fine.
This is risky. Herbs can carry botulinum spores which given time under anaerobic conditions (which oil does) and a low pH (which oil has unless it's been acidified) can activate producing toxins in the oil. If this is consumed without raising the temperature of the product to a level that will denature the toxins, the effect can be devastating.

The majority of purchased ready to each canned and jarred foods are subject to a 'botulinum' cook in the factory.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
:okay:
Herbs can carry botulinum spores which given time under anaerobic conditions (which oil does) and a low pH (which oil has unless it's been acidified) can activate producing toxins in the oil. If this is consumed without raising the temperature of the product to a level that will denature the toxins, the effect can be devastating.

Love this forum.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I think that means "doing the oil thing can give one a rumbly tummy".

Front runners thus far are the umdershelf nut and bolt storage, and the home made candle.

Top Bottom