Loving it! loving it! Loving it!

Davehateshills

Just got back from a...... wait for it...... 41.6 mile ride!

Now let me put a little bit of perspective on this for you because I know for some f you that's just a warm up ride^_^ I started cycling again only 4 weeks ago and I started with the 5 and 10 mile rides and then moved it up to 15 - 20 miles and then last night I thought, why not, So, I got up this morning in sunny Bury and cycled across the fair city of Manchester to Manchester Airport. Not content with that I turned around and cycled all the way back. It took me 3hr 30min which is an average of 11.9mph. I was quite happy with that for a 16 1/2 stone bloke on a mountain bike. Just wait till I get down to 11st with a lightweight road bike (yes Mr Brailsford you can sign me up!)

Loving it!

grumpyoldgit

Über Member
Thats some going,well done.I am a few weeks in & still on 12-16 miles most days,but still on 50 fags a day.

OP
Davehateshills

Davehateshills

Peter, I hear you and I have been going North. I headed up to Edenfield the other day and then over Owd Betts to Rochdale, it was a killer! As I like to get out most days I want to mix it up a bit. I must admit though I did like those flat roads south of the city but then I would, my name is Davehateshills! ^_^

Standoff

Well done. Get a cheapie road bike and you'll notice a world of differance!

Just got back from a...... wait for it...... 41.6 mile ride!

Now let me put a little bit of perspective on this for you because I know for some f you that's just a warm up ride^_^ I started cycling again only 4 weeks ago and I started with the 5 and 10 mile rides and then moved it up to 15 - 20 miles and then last night I thought, why not, So, I got up this morning in sunny Bury and cycled across the fair city of Manchester to Manchester Airport. Not content with that I turned around and cycled all the way back. It took me 3hr 30min which is an average of 11.9mph. I was quite happy with that for a 16 1/2 stone bloke on a mountain bike. Just wait till I get down to 11st with a lightweight road bike (yes Mr Brailsford you can sign me up!)

Loving it!
i'd be interested to know how much you ate/drank along the way.

OP
Davehateshills

Davehateshills

Well done. Get a cheapie road bike and you'll notice a world of differance!
Do you really think? How much of a difference? I am currently piloting a (saying this very, very quickly) Scott MX5 MB that has some decent road tyres on it. It does weigh a fair bit (about 16kg I think) and i have been saying to my other half that I could do with a road bike but just how much difference would I see?

OP
Davehateshills

Davehateshills

i'd be interested to know how much you ate/drank along the way.
Hi Philip, I read one of the threads on here this morning about feeding (Jam Butties and Jelly Babies) however I had already picked up a couple of those Gels yesterday, out of pure curiosity. So I took those with me. I also had one bottle of water.
At about 15 miles I had 1 x Gel
At about 23 miles I stopped and bought a Wispa
At about 30 miles I had the other Gel
I sipped on the water for the full ride and just about finished it at the end of the ride
I am after losing weight and love it when I look at Strava and it tells me that I have burned over 3,000 calories so I don't want to feed too much when I am out on the ride. Felt good all day though and my last mile was not far off the first one so that says I didn't suffer too much.

Top Bottom