Loving it! loving it! Loving it!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davehateshills

Just got back from a...... wait for it...... 41.6 mile ride!

Now let me put a little bit of perspective on this for you because I know for some f you that's just a warm up ride^_^ I started cycling again only 4 weeks ago and I started with the 5 and 10 mile rides and then moved it up to 15 - 20 miles and then last night I thought, why not, So, I got up this morning in sunny Bury and cycled across the fair city of Manchester to Manchester Airport. Not content with that I turned around and cycled all the way back. It took me 3hr 30min which is an average of 11.9mph. I was quite happy with that for a 16 1/2 stone bloke on a mountain bike. Just wait till I get down to 11st with a lightweight road bike (yes Mr Brailsford you can sign me up!)

Loving it!

grumpyoldgit

Über Member
Thats some going,well done.I am a few weeks in & still on 12-16 miles most days,but still on 50 fags a day.

OP
OP
Davehateshills

Davehateshills

Peter, I hear you and I have been going North. I headed up to Edenfield the other day and then over Owd Betts to Rochdale, it was a killer! As I like to get out most days I want to mix it up a bit. I must admit though I did like those flat roads south of the city but then I would, my name is Davehateshills! ^_^

Standoff

Well done. Get a cheapie road bike and you'll notice a world of differance!

Just got back from a...... wait for it...... 41.6 mile ride!

Now let me put a little bit of perspective on this for you because I know for some f you that's just a warm up ride^_^ I started cycling again only 4 weeks ago and I started with the 5 and 10 mile rides and then moved it up to 15 - 20 miles and then last night I thought, why not, So, I got up this morning in sunny Bury and cycled across the fair city of Manchester to Manchester Airport. Not content with that I turned around and cycled all the way back. It took me 3hr 30min which is an average of 11.9mph. I was quite happy with that for a 16 1/2 stone bloke on a mountain bike. Just wait till I get down to 11st with a lightweight road bike (yes Mr Brailsford you can sign me up!)

Loving it!
i'd be interested to know how much you ate/drank along the way.

OP
OP
Davehateshills

Davehateshills

Well done. Get a cheapie road bike and you'll notice a world of differance!

Do you really think? How much of a difference? I am currently piloting a (saying this very, very quickly) Scott MX5 MB that has some decent road tyres on it. It does weigh a fair bit (about 16kg I think) and i have been saying to my other half that I could do with a road bike but just how much difference would I see?

OP
OP
Davehateshills

Davehateshills

i'd be interested to know how much you ate/drank along the way.

Hi Philip, I read one of the threads on here this morning about feeding (Jam Butties and Jelly Babies) however I had already picked up a couple of those Gels yesterday, out of pure curiosity. So I took those with me. I also had one bottle of water.
At about 15 miles I had 1 x Gel
At about 23 miles I stopped and bought a Wispa
At about 30 miles I had the other Gel
I sipped on the water for the full ride and just about finished it at the end of the ride
I am after losing weight and love it when I look at Strava and it tells me that I have burned over 3,000 calories so I don't want to feed too much when I am out on the ride. Felt good all day though and my last mile was not far off the first one so that says I didn't suffer too much.

Top Bottom