Low Carb and Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ohm Sweet Ohm

Ohm Sweet Ohm

jimboalee said:
In the future, you will be able to 'pop' a tab to inhibit the signals transmitted to the brain from a nerve in the duodenum.
If you find you are putting on fat, you pop a tab. Losing too much, lay off the tabs.

Today, there is research into cutting the nerve entirely which results in no appetite at all, leading to phenomenal fat loss.

Being cyclists with the need for energy, we would need to be 'force fed' en-route.

So the big corporations can carry on selling us their cheap to manufacture 'lab' foods and then sell us drugs to lose fat and control the diseases that they caused? Think I'll stick to real foods that grow naturally :sad:

jimboalee

Ohm Sweet Ohm said:
So the big corporations can carry on selling us their cheap to manufacture 'lab' foods and then sell us drugs to lose fat and control the diseases that they caused? Think I'll stick to real foods that grow naturally :sad:

Nope.

The pharmaceutical company makes a killing and McDonalds goes bust.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Ohm Sweet Ohm said:
I was just pointing out that low carb is not some faddy modern idea, but actually the natural way we used to eat.

these ancient nature-ist low carb diet troglodytes.... what was their life expectancy?

yello

I am Spartacus said:
the French colloquial for hitting the wall .... think it begins with f anyone help out?

Fringal perhaps? It means something like hunger really, depending on context.

They'll also speak of <la sorcière aux dents vertes> (the witch with green teeth) or <l'homme au marteau> (the man with the hammer).

The 'evolutionary perspective' hit a number of scientific disciplines a whilst back now (hence me using the phrase in inverted commas) and I find it revitalising. I think a bigger picture can be useful, which is why I'm kind of taken with it in this nutritional debate.

There is no doubting that the food we eat now is radically different to anything we ate 1000 years ago, 100 years ago, 50 even. The complex carbs are new (speaking in terms of evolution) to us, as is dairy produce. Evolution is a slow, slow process so I can well imagine our systems do not know what to make of some the stuff we eat. And with modern medicines, we are tempering the effects of natural selection.

Low carbers tell us that there is no high cholesterol, no high blood pressure, no diabetes in other cultures where they still eat a non-western diet. I have no idea if this is true, selective or simply bollocks - but it's an interesting argument.

So there's a potential irony in gg's statement...

these ancient nature-ist low carb diet troglodytes.... what was their life expectancy?

So I do see a value in considering a return to a 'hunter-gatherer' diet. What I would like to know though, and where there is an assumption made, is whether the hunter-gatherer did suffer from poor diet. Praps they did get diabetes etc, or perhaps something we don't know get because of our better diet!

fido

Veteran
Ohm Sweet Ohm -

If the article that you linked to is to be believed, can we assume that all world-class athletes are absolutely wasting their time with their pointless, single-minded dedication to intense and all-consuming training regimes when in fact all they need to do is tweak their dietary habits?

Rockus

personally, i'd like to know who wrote the article and where exactly they got their information from. Not saying its all bollocks but if you say something, it has to stand up to scrutiny or you're just talking in my book -and we know how much thats worth...

jimboalee

fido said:
Ohm Sweet Ohm -

If the article that you linked to is to be believed, can we assume that all world-class athletes are absolutely wasting their time with their pointless, single-minded dedication to intense and all-consuming training regimes when in fact all they need to do is tweak their dietary habits?

The 'world class' athletes of which you speak are merely trying to be better than the last guy.
Then what? A gold medal and a mention on the telly.

There is some natural talent out there. When it appears, the whole world gasps and thinks "how can he do that by eating Frosties for breakfast?"

If it is necessary to follow a 'single-minded dedication to intense and all-consuming training regime', does this mean you ARE wasting your time?

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
In my landscaping years I would bulk up over the winter and put weight on {not too much} as I used to burn more energy in the cold weather. From February onwards I would loose it by april as I would just have a piece of fruit and water to eat during the day and for some reason be more energetic.

I tend to put weight on over winter now because I dont cycle much over this period or do anything really physical other than my job. If you are into the sport of cycling then diet and training etc seems to be an issue of fitness and weight. In my case I ride my bike for pleasure and commuting, cant be bothered racing other people but like to watch other people race:laugh:

We are all different in how we consume things, matabolism etc. I cannot stomach these carbo powders,gels and such, I have tried them and they dont work for me. I just govern what goes in my mouth and how much and if it tastes nice scoff it. A bit of everything is good for you, just keep it in the balance.

yello

...but in answer to your question oso; no, I don't cycle on a low-carb diet. I am however thinking about it. Not immediately since I'm preparing for LEL and I really don't want to go experimenting but maybe for later in the year. I am going to try my next couple of big rides without the usual carbo loading though (making sure I take plenty of fuel for the ride itself), just to see what happens.

I recently read of Laurent Fignon going out for a 300km ride with only a cereal bar... deliberately to meet 'the man with the hammer'. As Jimbo says, you have to go too far sometimes to know just how far you can go.

So try it oso. Try it and see what happens!

OP
OP
Ohm Sweet Ohm

Ohm Sweet Ohm

Thank you everyone. It's been an interesting debate and I respect everyone's opinions. No one knows for sure what is the best way to eat, including so called experts. What I do know, is that I feel much better without excessive carbs in my system. I've lost 70lbs since I started eating low carb. My bloods / lipids are now in the healthy range. I achieved this with no hunger or suffering. I would never have managed this with excercise and calorie control as I just don't have that sort of will power.
My BMI is now 25 rather than 35. I would like to get this down to 22ish but that is probably my own vanity LOL. My weight loss has gradually slowed to virtually nil now, so maybe the cycling will help shift that last bit of chubbiness!

oso

OP
OP
Ohm Sweet Ohm

Ohm Sweet Ohm

Thanks for the link! I might have a to read it a few more times though to 'fully digest' it :biggrin:
I think it touches on why low carb works so well for me. Fat satisfies my hunger. If I eat carbs, I'm constantly craving more. Its the old Chinese meal syndrome. Eat high carb and I'm starving again an hour or two later..

Top Bottom