Low Carb and Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ohm Sweet Ohm

Hi there

Does anyone here follow a low carb diet and cycle? Do you think it affects your cycling ability?
I've been low carbing for a few years now (with a naughty 6 month blip in the middle :biggrin:). Obviously a glucose hit on a long journey is out, so I'd love to hear any stories or tips anyone has about the pluses / pitfalls of cycling and low carbing?

Thanks

yello

I'm not answering your query but I am interested in any responses... though I'm not sure just how many there'll be!

I've been reading with interest about low carb diets for a while now but I have to admit that I'm uncertain. I'd be interested to know how you get on with it and what got you onto one in the first place. It does defy conventional thought of the majority of a diet being carb.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
had to do three weeks on no/lo carb as a 'priming phase' to my current much more balanced diet. during the second week I went to the gym to do my normal session of weights and could not complete my resistance workout as the place began to spin around and around - blood sugar through the floor I imagine. start of my cycling 'season' coincided with the third week. went out to do a nice easy 25 miles, 20 miles in I bonked BIG TIME.

i guess if your body has adapted over time you could combine low carbs and cycling succesfully. with a 26 mile round trip commute to do i'm not going to bother to try to find out.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I was on a very low carb diet back end of last year. I didn't do any real kind of distance rides, but plenty of commutes (30+ mile round trip)
It does affect your ability, but you have to be realistic. On the low carb diet my times were slower by upto 15% but I don't ride against the clock anyway, so it wasn't an issue for me. I did my first 100 miler in January whilst still on a lowish carb diet & was struggling a bit towards the end, 80ish miles onwards. Even now I don't stock up on carbs too much, unless i'm off on a long ride (100 miles) then maybe have jacket spuds, or pasta for tea the evening before & then porrige for breakfast & flapjacks whilst riding.

My initial low carb diet was advised by my GP & it's amazing how much carbs can affect your moods :ohmy:

yello

I read Dr Briffa's webblogpage thing (because I like alternative opinions!) and he's a big fan of low carb.

It's really about controlling insulin levels and keeping your body chemistry stable rather than spiking it with quick release carbs. He puts a lot of emphasis on the 'evolutionary perspective'... basically trying to eat in-line with how our systems have developed.

It interests me because it's something that has a degree of intuitiveness for me. I can see some sense in what is said and Briffa does back it up with the research that's out there (though no doubt picks and chooses!) However, it just runs contrary to everything I've otherwise been told/read as a suitable diet for someone interested in endurance cycling!

OP
OP
Ohm Sweet Ohm

Ohm Sweet Ohm

Atkins is low carb, high fat, moderate protein. Or at least the original book by Atkins was. They watered it down in the newer editions of the book by lowering the fat intake to appease the doubters.
I originally low carbed to lose weight, but soon found how much healthier I felt without eating high carb foods.
The media gave the impression that low carb was eat as much meat, greasy english breakfasts as you want. That isn't true. you need to eat loads of salad and veg too. It's basically what we would have eaten as hunter gatherers.

Thank you everyone for your response.

Grumpy greg - 2/3 weeks isn't really enough for you body to get in the stride of it. It can take a week to use up your glycogen reserves and switch over to burning fat for energy (ketosis).

Soltydog - Thanks, I will be doing a 30 mile commute myself. I'm not trying to beat any records either so I think I'll be OK. :ohmy:

OP
OP
Ohm Sweet Ohm

Ohm Sweet Ohm

Yello - You may enjoy some of these articles :-

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/low-carb_index.html

OP
OP
Ohm Sweet Ohm

Ohm Sweet Ohm

Riverman - Good for you! Thanks for your invaluable input :biggrin:

Yello - It's worth a browse on there one day when you have time. Barry Groves knows his stuff :smile:

Rockus

Very interesting thread here peeps. So if i understand, you eat fewer crabs to induce you body to burn fat? Right Right?

Marin Maniac

I tried Atkins once. Bought lots of meats, salad and veg. Within three days I felt the worst I have ever felt (vodka/sambuka induced not included), this was before my cycling days. I couldn't imagine going on a ride without a sufficient carb intake before.

I very rarely eat high carb/quick release carb food, mainly complex carb foods and lots of protein. I wouldn't say I was a particularly lightweight build and have always been fairly heavy set (but not fat). What I have found is that with the combination of eating properly (Sundays are eat anything day) the layer of fat that I have always carried seems to be disappearing slowly.

I think I have at last found a physical activity that I enjoy doing and can see myself still doing it when I'm old and crusty.

yello

Rockus said:
So if i understand, you eat fewer crabs to induce you body to burn fat? Right Right?

As much seafood as you like! ;)

But, basically, yes. Crudely speaking, my reading of it is that all carbs are sugar/glucose and cause insulin production. Fewer carbs means less insulin. Insulin is used in converting the glucose into glycogen. Glycogen fuels the body and it's stored in the liver and muscles. But there's only so much glycogen that your body can store so the excess glucose is stored as fat.

By not producing insulin, you're not asking your body to store glucose. And fat does not cause insulin production so, somewhat ironically, fat is not stored as body fat!

There is an initial period where you can 'carb starve' your body to begin with - and so force it to burn off excess fat, i.e. loose weight, because there is little stored glcogen - but I really don't like the sound of that.

I'm still reading into it and so find it interesting. Whether I go that way or not, I simply don't know at this stage... the jury is still out :wacko:

Top Bottom