Low cost models with cassette based gearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just wondering what models people are aware of that have cassette based gearing rather than freewheels at the lower end of pricing. Not keen on freewheels to say the least.

I know of the Carrera Intercity which is £350 but are there any other models at similar or even less pricing?

Joffey

Big Dosser

OP
OP
B

That's a freewheel and in fact the derailleur isn't even Shimano its a generic very low quality chinese brand model. So that bike would be at the very lowest quality level for the drivetrain. All the 6 speed and probably 7 speed folding bikes with derailleurs will be freewheels not cassettes. Cassette based models will be 8,9 or maybe even 10 speed models. Looking at their complete range they don't have cassette based folding bikes their more expensive models use hub gears and the dearer derailleur based folding bike is also freewheel based but at least has a Shimano derailleur.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think you'll find all the budget models will have freewheels, its only when you get to the better ones that you find 8/9 cassettes. What's your beef with freewheels?

OP
OP
B
I think you'll find all the budget models will have freewheels, its only when you get to the better ones that you find 8/9 cassettes. What's your beef with freewheels?

Hate freewheels; weak, short life, poor gear changes, don't cope with small drops well, need more frequent maintenance including cleaning. It's the entry level standard built down to a price and found on sub £100 bike shaped objects. I wouldn't want to purchase a folding bike with a freewheel. I'm not saying they don't suit some people but not of an acceptable quality for me. Don't get me wrong I have a few bikes with freewheels including a folding bike but I see them as a weakness of those bikes. Ok for light use and fair weather cyclists. You can buy a mountain bike and road bike easily under £300 with cassette based gearing no problem but its more difficult with folding bikes.

The Carrera is a very decent bike for reasonable? money but just wondered if that was the only option at that price range.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've never had a problem with freewheels but then I tend to use a lot of oil on my bikes (even the ones with freehubs/cassettes)
I think it's more of a maintenance problem, I mean it is all very well washing/polishing bikes and thinking because they look good (like new even) then they're in good condition but unless they've been lubed well then they are going to suffer premature wear...............plus I'm not a fan of 'clicky' back ends.

OP
OP
B
The reason why cassettes arrived was to widen the distance between the bearings, both have essentially the same innards............

That certainly isn't a fair analysis. For a start freewheels are at the budget end and general construction, materials and quality is much weaker. Also the thread is machined into the hub and most hubs aren't machined perfectly accurately so you get freewheel wobble even on decent brand bikes. Then there is the question of seals which generally are weaker and more prone to leakage on hubs designed for freewheels. The one point you raised is an important one the reason the distance was increased was to make the cassette system much stronger with less likelihood the axle will get bent. Not forgetting a cheap freewheel will be paired with a cheap derailleur which will be more problematic.

Huge number of reasons why freewheels are much inferior to freehubs and cassettes. Clearly you would never have a proper mountain bike with a freewheel but even for road bikes freewheels are looked down upon immensely as very low quality. I do accept that the lack of double and triple chainsets on folding bikes does make it easier to shift with a better chain line but also on the reverse of that folding bikes get more knocks and more prone to damage as you fold and move them and the derailleur is much closer to the kerb/pavement height and prone to dirt and mud getting into them which can cause more problems.

midlife

Guru
Not sure all freewheels are budget and low quality. I never saw Phil Bayton break one...

9_bayton_late_career_R.jpg

And he could stick a few Newtons on the pedals :smile:

Ok that's talking about Regina et al but even cheap modern Sunrace is based on Sturmey Archer tooling.

Horses for courses as they say :smile:

OP
OP
B
I would hope everyone realises here that before cassettes it was all freewheels but in today's world freewheels are pretty much only low end products apart from minor niche high end products. Someone I'm sure could make the case that rod brakes were good in their day or penny farthings are fast road bikes but things have moved on.

XC26

As stated earlier, freewheels are prone to axle failure due to the relatively large distance between the wheel bearings and frame forks/dropout. Also, I am not a fan of derailleur gears on folding bikes as they are:

1. Too close to the ground on small wheelers - which most folders are.
2. Easily damaged if not careful with folding/unfolding, carrying on/off public transport, in/out of car boot, etc.
3. Ugly.

However, if you must have one, consider the Kansi 9twenty for £365 on Amazon. It has a 9 speed Sram cassette. But be warned that the Kansi company, like their bikes, folded, some time ago now and so Kansi-specific spares will be difficult to source.

OP
OP
B
Well surprisingly I have actually found one. It actually seems to have a pretty amazing spec for the grand price of £214 direct from their own site but can also be purchased through Amazon or ebay (probably safer going with Amazon).

http://greenwaycycles.co.uk/folding/27-greenway.html

greenway.jpg

Honestly there doesn't seem to be much to criticise, the colour scheme is a bit drap and there is no rack or mudguards plus the saddle seems a bit optimistic I would of thought more of a comfort saddle would be appropriate. The frame looks nicely welded and has the strengthening section welded between seat tube and main downtube. Claris derailleur, geniune Shimano cassette. Quando hubs, decent kenda tyres with double walled wheels. Even has a decent magnet and metal pin to keep it together when folded. Maybe I'm missing some huge failing somewhere but I honestly can't see it. It seems to have a component level that brands like Dahon would charge 3x as much for. They seem to have gone to great lengths to ensure the bike is strong and reliable. I actually emailed them 2 days ago to ask the maximum rider weight and have had no reply so even if the product is good I suspect this is purely a low margin box shifting operation with little or no backup.

Most of their bikes look very good value to be honest. I quite like the road bike at £200 seems a generous spec for the price.

http://greenwaycycles.co.uk/road/58-road-racing-bike-7426799794082.html

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Well surprisingly I have actually found one. It actually seems to have a pretty amazing spec for the grand price of £214 direct from their own site but can also be purchased through Amazon or ebay (probably safer going with Amazon).

http://greenwaycycles.co.uk/folding/27-greenway.html

View attachment 362293

Honestly there doesn't seem to be much to criticise, the colour scheme is a bit drap and there is no rack or mudguards plus the saddle seems a bit optimistic I would of thought more of a comfort saddle would be appropriate. The frame looks nicely welded and has the strengthening section welded between seat tube and main downtube. Claris derailleur, geniune Shimano cassette. Quando hubs, decent kenda tyres with double walled wheels. Even has a decent magnet and metal pin to keep it together when folded. Maybe I'm missing some huge failing somewhere but I honestly can't see it. It seems to have a component level that brands like Dahon would charge 3x as much for. They seem to have gone to great lengths to ensure the bike is strong and reliable. I actually emailed them 2 days ago to ask the maximum rider weight and have had no reply so even if the product is good I suspect this is purely a low margin box shifting operation with little or no backup.

Most of their bikes look very good value to be honest. I quite like the road bike at £200 seems a generous spec for the price.

http://greenwaycycles.co.uk/road/58-road-racing-bike-7426799794082.html
xx(...............................................................................................................................................................:whistle:

Top Bottom