Low Ferritin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shakeandbake

Hoping someone here can shed some light on a problem with low ferrritin that I've been having for the last 2 years.

Ferritin has consistently dropped to 15-20 within a 8-12 week period of training, it rises slowly once I'm off the bike for some time. Been to numerous doctors who have mentioned overtraining, nutrition etc. which have all been looked at and addressed but nothing has worked. Also have been on numerous iron supplements which have been little to no effect on bringing it up, while I've also had 2 iron injections, which brought it up for a short period before it came back down.

Been off the bike a few months now since the ferritin keeps dropping anytime I train. Recently got scopes done both up and down and everything came back as normal, lastest doctor has suggested an iron infusion.

Everything else in the bloods has came back as normal, a bit lost with it all at the moment as to the next thing to look at. Any suggestions would be appreciated or any similar stories just to give myself another avenue to look at.

Thanks!

midlife

Guru
Serum ferritin is a measure of iron stores iirc from way back when I was at uni. Activity increases red blood cell production which needs iron so depletes stores..

Have you been below your labs lowest usual range?

Are you unwell?

Shaun

If you are training hard it is not unusual for your iron levels to drop slightly as your body is working very hard to maintain, repair and cope with demands.

Unfortunately a drop in levels maybe too much for your body to cope with especially if you have naturally low levels (like me). I know when they have dropped too far as I start to get light headedness and 'controlled blackout' spells when going between standing and sitting (also linked to my blood pressure)

It's a case of rest, rest, rest for a long time (6 months upwards) as iron stores take a long time to replenish even with a supplement.

If you try to donate blood but your iron is too low they suspend you for a minimum of 3 months upwards depending on the severity.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Sorry I can't help with the avenues to explore but I've been there with the low iron, I'm female so there wasn't much need to explore any further. You are bringing back the memories of low awful it felt commuting, and it was taking longer and longer. I literally remember crying at the end of one winters journey!

I think I was in the ferrous sulphite possibly? And following the advice about what to eat/not eat with it, and trying to up my intake of any iron rich foods, or orange juice with a meal to aid absorption.

I did know someon who used to suffer from very low iron levels and he would end up in hospital needing an infusion every now and again. And it did help to boost his levels. I dont think it stopped him cycling but then he seemed to think the route from Bristol to Bath involved Portishead etc, often turning it into a 100 mile loop.

OP
OP
S

shakeandbake

Thanks for the replies and advice, appreciate it!

I've been off the bike for a 6 month period before and the ferritin levels only came up from 15 to mid 40s, within 5/6 weeks of training the ferritin had dropped back to 15,which was only this February gone by. It has risen again slightly but I know it will drop again once I resume training.

I would have raced at a high level before but have since been unable too with the ferritin, I've been to 4 top sports doctors who have all given different views but each time I have tried their option, the same thing occurs. The iron infusion seems like the only option left

Is there anything linked to ferritin in the body that could make it drop regardless of training and exercise?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I can't remember but was it inversely linked to calcium or manganese levels in the blood? There was something that too much of the alternative wasn't good. Sorry I can't remember the details it is now a year or two since I last looked into it.

Too Tyred

Sounds like a more serious version of me. I was diagnosed with an iron deficiency when I was in my teens and it is starting to rear its ugly head once again. Real fatigue, pale skin, light-headed, little cracks around my mouth... probably no coincidence that I've recently got back into riding but I've managed it before and I'll manage it again.

The discussion on ferritin is very interesting. When I was told iron deficiency I was like right I need more iron but this time I will see what I can do in regards to ferritin too. If I can't store the iron then what's the point of eating more iron.

I remember a supplement with ginseng really helped last time. What have you found to work. What diet changes have been suggested? How do you increase ferritin or increase the absorption of iron? I'm going back to the books, scrapping my diet and starting again.

Too Tyred

Sounds like a more serious version of me. I was diagnosed with an iron deficiency when I was in my teens and it is starting to rear its ugly head once again. Real fatigue, pale skin, light-headed, little cracks around my mouth... probably no coincidence that I've recently got back into riding but I've managed it before and I'll manage it again.

The discussion on ferritin is very interesting. When I was told iron deficiency I was like right I need more iron but this time I will see what I can do in regards to ferritin too. If I can't store the iron then what's the point of eating more iron.

I remember a supplement with ginseng really helped last time. What have you found to work. What diet changes have been suggested? How do you increase ferritin or increase the absorption of iron? I'm going back to the books, scrapping my diet and starting again.

It's been pretty much a week now and I'm starting to feel human again despite a heavy week at work. I'm on three supplements at the minute - iron, vitamin C with zinc and ginseng. The iron dose is pretty high but it needs to be to get my stores back up. I'm trying to consume a source of iron with every meal too. I've had a week off the bike and it looks like I'll be off it this week too but that's also due to work being busy.

What I am struggling with is thinking of things to take to work for dinner and snacks which are high in iron. It has to be something that I can eat cold and I don't fancy roast beef sandwiches every day. I was thinking seafood/ prawn salad so I can throw in lots of spinach, watercress and peppers too but there's no carbs there. It needs to be quick, well-balanced and nutritious.

I think dinner time has played a massive role in me becoming unwell, especially as I'm not much of a breakfast eater. I was getting up, going to work and not eating much (or eating junk) until I got home. That meal when I got home was usually pretty healthy but it was too late. I can do myself much more good by nailing this dinner time meal.

Yes I did quote myself :P

midlife

Guru
50mg iron per day is about the limit orally iirc any more isn't assimilated and can be toxic. Get that 50 mg from your supplements for the moment and think about nutrition for your meals and not iron. ?

Too Tyred

I think I carried around dried apricots as a snack. Chicken sandwiches? Hummus and veg such as peppers?

Dried fruit is probably the perfect snack that's a brilliant suggestion, as are the others. Thanks!

50mg iron per day is about the limit orally iirc any more isn't assimilated and can be toxic. Get that 50 mg from your supplements for the moment and think about nutrition for your meals and not iron. ?

Very interesting! I think with the changes to my diet and supplements too, I could be at risk of too much iron. I've been trying to get foods high in iron into every meal. Although coming from an anemic state I need to have that excess at the minute. It's definitely something to think about though.

Top Bottom