Low/No Alcohol Beer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickedem

Guru
I'm giving up alcohol for October, so have bought some Low Alcohol beers to try. I've been pleasantly surprised at how good these are compared to what was available a few years ago.
My thoughts:
Heineken and Becks Zero. Not much taste difference from the real thing as far as I can tell.
Punk Nanny State. Very hoppy which I like, not sure, but I think it does have some sort of weird aftertaste.
Coast Hazy IPA I bought this online. Quite impressed. My son works in a craft beer pub, so I have been getting quite into this type of beer.
Erdinger alkoholfrei. I first started drinking this type of beer in Austria when Skiing as a lunchtime drink. I think it is one of the nicest LA beers I have had.
So Cyclechatters what do you think? Are these a good substitute for the real thing? Do you have any recommendations? Any other suggestions for non alcoholic drinks?

vickster

Legendary Member
Cobra 0 is repulsive, steer well clear!
Nanny State is Certainly drinkable
I’ve had a punk AF and a Ghost Ship 0.5 in the fridge for months. I should try them, but I tend to just go for a Coke Zero or a beer with alcohol (I maybe drink one a week if I don’t go out).

I had a very nice Af pale ale in Loch Fyne a while back, but can’t remember what it was called. I did look it up afterwards but Only available online by the case.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
At the risk of sounding like a complete ar*e why is this giving up stuff for a month a thing? Get the charity angle to some degree but the whole giving stuff up for a time seems to big now. People at do this thing, that thing and there seems to be a national day for everything now too. When did that start? Sorry to digress, have tried Room Zero, not bad but more expensive.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Heineken does taste quite like the real thing, it's quite funny.

Erdinger alcohol free is good but very gassy.

Furstenburg non-alcoholic is the best I've tasted.

Peroni is all right. Birra moretti comes out a bit weird. Don't like adnam's ghostship at all. Becks blue is decent.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'm giving up alcohol for October, so have bought some Low Alcohol beers to try. I've been pleasantly surprised at how good these are compared to what was available a few years ago.
My thoughts:
Heineken and Becks Zero. Not much taste difference from the real thing as far as I can tell.
Punk Nanny State. Very hoppy which I like, not sure, but I think it does have some sort of weird aftertaste.
Coast Hazy IPA I bought this online. Quite impressed. My son works in a craft beer pub, so I have been getting quite into this type of beer.
Erdinger alkoholfrei. I first started drinking this type of beer in Austria when Skiing as a lunchtime drink. I think it is one of the nicest LA beers I have had.
So Cyclechatters what do you think? Are these a good substitute for the real thing? Do you have any recommendations? Any other suggestions for non alcoholic drinks?
If you like the craft beer side of things, Big Drop seem to have been getting some pretty good reviews for their ''alcohol-free''* beers.

*Usually 0.5%, small but definitely not alcohol free.

Drop Bear beers very good. Tropical IPA was the first time I finished an AF beer and thought "I'd like another one of those"

OP
OP
Trickedem

Trickedem

Guru
At the risk of sounding like a complete ar*e why is this giving up stuff for a month a thing? Get the charity angle to some degree but the whole giving stuff up for a time seems to big now. People at do this thing, that thing and there seems to be a national day for everything now too. When did that start? Sorry to digress, have tried Room Zero, not bad but more expensive.
I'm with you on the charity thing, I certainly wouldn't sponsor someone for doing this or expect them to sponsor me. But during lockdown I've put on weight and don't feel as healthy. Complete abstinence is easier for me than cutting down.

Sharky

Guru
Have been drinking the LA/zeros since I was 40. Whenever we went out, I was usually the driver, so these became the norm. Just drank whatever the pub serves or on the shelf at Waitrose. Now I can't even remember what a normal beer tastes like.

Julia9054

Guru
I find drinking them with a hot curry almost makes them taste like the real thing.
I like Nanny State and Punk AF.
Have been experimenting with non alcoholic wine. All the reds are utterly foul but rosè is reasonably drinkable

Top Bottom