Low/No Alcohol Beer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Never understood the idea, same as wine...
Maybe if it tasted like the real thing...
My mate has Erdinger as his Ironman sponsor.
He is always praising no alc version.
But when nobody is looking he drinks the real one :laugh::laugh::laugh:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I'm giving up alcohol for October, so have bought some Low Alcohol beers to try. I've been pleasantly surprised at how good these are compared to what was available a few years ago.
My thoughts:
Heineken and Becks Zero. Not much taste difference from the real thing as far as I can tell.
Punk Nanny State. Very hoppy which I like, not sure, but I think it does have some sort of weird aftertaste.
Coast Hazy IPA I bought this online. Quite impressed. My son works in a craft beer pub, so I have been getting quite into this type of beer.
Erdinger alkoholfrei. I first started drinking this type of beer in Austria when Skiing as a lunchtime drink. I think it is one of the nicest LA beers I have had.
So Cyclechatters what do you think? Are these a good substitute for the real thing? Do you have any recommendations? Any other suggestions for non alcoholic drinks?
I cannot drink alcohol due the my gastric reflux tendancy.
Becks I am not impressed by but Heineken was ok.
Nanny state I would not touch but Erdinger is rather nice.
Really the only way is to get a few to try but the Continental ones generally seem to be better IMO.
St Peter's Without is a stout tho' not a patch on the real thing but Hobson's choice for me. Mebbe I should add Hobson's is not a beer.

byegad

Legendary Member
As a driver I tried Calibre when that came out. But wasn't keen. I have tried a half of real lager, with a calibre in the same glass* occasionally but only the one.
However, when driving I usually have a 'normal' diet drink. Diet coke or Pepsi., for instance.

*Its notable that many bar staff can't get their heads around that one.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
In general, I am a great fan of no/low-alcohol beer. Some of it is pretty grim but most of it is reasonable-to-good. Above all, it is virtually the only cold sparkling drink apart from water which is not laden with sugar or some laboratory-made sugar substitute. Compared to the colas and the fizzy fruits, all of them are good. The drink of choice when sporting or driving.

Julia9054

Guru
In general, I am a great fan of no/low-alcohol beer. Some of it is pretty grim but most of it is reasonable-to-good. Above all, it is virtually the only cold sparkling drink apart from water which is not laden with sugar or some laboratory-made sugar substitute. Compared to the colas and the fizzy fruits, all of them are good. The drink of choice when sporting or driving.
True.
I don't always want to drink something sweet, especially with food. I also have a digestive system that doesn't get on well with artificial sweeteners.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I'm giving up alcohol for October, so have bought some Low Alcohol beers to try. I've been pleasantly surprised at how good these are compared to what was available a few years ago.
My thoughts:
Heineken and Becks Zero. Not much taste difference from the real thing as far as I can tell.
Punk Nanny State. Very hoppy which I like, not sure, but I think it does have some sort of weird aftertaste.
Coast Hazy IPA I bought this online. Quite impressed. My son works in a craft beer pub, so I have been getting quite into this type of beer.
Erdinger alkoholfrei. I first started drinking this type of beer in Austria when Skiing as a lunchtime drink. I think it is one of the nicest LA beers I have had.
So Cyclechatters what do you think? Are these a good substitute for the real thing? Do you have any recommendations? Any other suggestions for non alcoholic drinks?
You may have covid :laugh::laugh::cheers:

a.twiddler

Veteran
I’m just having a ghost ship 0.5
Won’t have again, not much taste and a funny smell
Do people actually drink beer for the taste? Beer makes you drunk, otherwise what's the point? Myself, I'm a cider drinker. I certainly woudn't bother with alcohol free cider if I had to keep away from alcohol for some reason. It's a bit like like caffeine free cola or coffee -you drink it for the effect, or to get you going in the morning, not for the taste, you might as well drink water. (Takes cover).

Top Bottom