Low/No Alcohol Beer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A colleague who plays in a band told me a story from years ago involving a gig where a row with pub owner escalated and the pub refused to pay them. Their bass player was really wound up and angry at this and as they were loading the instruments into the van in the pub's back yard the store room door was open so the bass player went into it the dark and sneaked off with a crate of bottles as "payment" and got into the back of the van where he sat drinking one bottle after another the whole way home while cursing the pub owner. He was in a terrible state and they had to carry him into the house and put him on the bed when they got him home and his wife asked what he had been drinking. They didn't know so got a torch and looked into the back of the van and looked at the bottles.

He had picked up a crate of Kaliber in the dark and thought it was proper beer :laugh: Proof that there is such a thing as a placebo effect! I think it took him a long time to live it down :laugh:

If he flattened the crate he was very likely suffering from water intoxication.

Symptoms include nausea and vomiting, so similar to alcohol intoxication.

A quick Google suggests three or four litres of water in a few hours is enough to induce the condition.

I can't recall the precise strength of Kaliber, but drinking enough of it quickly would make you drunk.

Another possibility is your mate was suffering from a mixture of alcohol and water intoxication.

Norry1

Legendary Member
Nanny State for me. Paradiso is pretty good as is Punk AF.

Erdinger is brill at the finish line of a long sportive.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
I'm now 11 months into my alcohol sabbatical and have tried loads.
ALL AF Lagers taste too sweet for me.I can just about stomach Erdinger but it has to be in the freezer until it's just short of frozen.
Of the BrewDog offerings I prefer Punk AF but I found that it has been exploding everywhere on opening recently.Bad batch by their admonition and I've got a £10 compo voucher to spend on their webby:notworthy:
My go-to at the moment is Infinite Session IPA/APA
https://infinitesession.com/
I will be ordering a couple of cases from both Infinite and BrewDog for Christmas:okay:

Spartak