Low-tech training competition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSurfer

Experiment: see how fit I can get over the winter and how good I can be in 10 & 25 mile TTs next year.

Clincher: Just use current equipment (mid-range Planet-X road bike, Fixed gear Raleigh and an old Schwinn spinning bike), no heart rate monitors - just use 'rate of perceived exertion' scales and comon sense.

Inspiring? I need something to give me a kick I reckon. I could tailor the Pete Read Black Book and substitute the HRM stuff for RPE.

Let's face it, Graham Obree used to train in his coal shed on a spinning thing made out of old washing machine parts and he weren't too bad.

Concentrate on what matters (training) and don't get distracted by all the aero and power meter jewellery.

Bill Gates

How you feel always takes precedence. Feel good - ride hard if you want. Feel jaded take it easy or don't ride. The rest is just academic.

I'm trying desperately to learn to love headwinds - yesterday's was a right pain/delight and it's blowing up nicely again today:biggrin:

ASC1951

Guru
SilverSurfer said:
just use 'rate of perceived exertion' scales and comon sense.
:ohmy: Are you one of those free radicals they keep warning us about?

How do you expect to get anywhere if you ignore all the advice appropriate for professional racing cyclists, or which will undoubtedly shave three minutes off your 100 mile time?

Let's face it, Graham Obree used to train in his coal shed on a spinning thing made out of old washing machine parts and he weren't too bad.
Not the best company in the pub, I suspect.

PK99

Legendary Member
accountantpete said:
I'm trying desperately to learn to love headwinds - yesterday's was a right pain/delight and it's blowing up nicely again today:biggrin:

Try Richmond Park - I swear there is often a head wind the whole b*****y way round!

I am Spartacus

Über Member
If you seriously want to be competitive next year ( in appropriate age group) you are still best advised to have to take advantage of the available training knowledge that has been honed over the years... otherwise I can say now that you will be last :ohmy:
Seriously, dont eschew the technology and up to date training methods for the sakes of adhering to the good 'ol days and a sense of romanticism.

jimboalee

I am Spartacus said:
If you seriously want to be competitive next year ( in appropriate age group) you are still best advised to have to take advantage of the available training knowledge that has been honed over the years... otherwise I can say now that you will be last :ohmy:
Seriously, dont eschew the technology and up to date training methods for the sakes of adhering to the good 'ol days and a sense of romanticism.

YES.

Firstly, you need someone who knows what they are talking about.

Secondly, you need an Ergonometer, or a turbo that tells you how powerful you are.

Thirdly, you need an internet access computer to read the
pseudo scientific mumbo jumbo.

jimboalee

Failing the Ergonometer, find a nice steady hill.

Time yourself up it and come home to the psuedo scientific mumbo jumbo.

Bill Gates

jimboalee said:
YES.

Firstly, you need someone who knows what they are talking about.

;). Well that lets you out then.

jimboalee said:
Secondly, you need an Ergonometer, or a turbo that tells you how powerful you are.

Thirdly, you need an internet access computer to read the
pseudo scientific mumbo jumbo.

Anaylse times of today with those of 25 years ago and you will notice that the riders were just as "powerful" and fast then as they are now. What's changed is bike technology.

In a 25 mile TT I would put my money on the likes of Eddie Adkins, Sean Yates, Alf Engers anyday to beat today's riders if racing the same bikes on a level playing field.

Training principles and objectives are exactly the same. Some riders use power measurements as a tool so that their "coach" can tell them if that they are going OK in training. Any half decent rider will know that anyway.

You don't need an Ergometer or Internet access.

Anyone would think that interval training, threshold training and basic miles was something "discovered" by sports scientists over the last 10 years.:biggrin:

I am Spartacus

Über Member
If the guy wants to train his way.. fine.
It would be nice to have an update every so often at perhaps a target time he has set himself for the 10 and 25.
How far 'away' he is currently so we can see progression... etc etc

We all have limitations as to how much cash we can flash.. how much time we can dedicate.. in some cases severe limitations.

jimboalee

Bill, you didn't say anything nasty about my suggestion of a 'hill climb' test.

I wasn't going to blind the poor chap or bore him senseless by explaining how to do a Wingate test on an ergonomter because he doesn't have an ergonometer.

If the OP would like to hear about how to evaluate Peak power and Relative Peak power, he can PM me.

OP
OP
S

SilverSurfer

Are you two actually arguing or do you not realise that you are actually agreeing with each other?

Anyhow, I would like to do some sort of blog to chart my progress. Obviously it won't silence any critics on here as I won't have data from modern stuff.

But let's face it, there's no rocket science in amateur cycling, only pseudo-science. Ride a lot at different levels and plenty of recovery/rest. Simples.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Try running up and down stairs ten times.... not advisable if you live in a bungalow or the 14th floor of Mandela Towers.

Top Bottom