lower back, Coccyx, glute pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rykard

Veteran
Hi,
I dusted off the turbo last night for 10mins, haven't ridden for a long while. I now have a bruised? sensation in my lower back / Coccyx area and a sharp pain in my left hamstring that keeps coming and going. I've nnever had this before after riding, normal chafing, but not this. Are there any stretches I can do to alleviate this pain, or do I just have to put up with it. Will I be ok to ride again tonight or should I leave it till the pain has gone totally?

cheers

vickster

Legendary Member
Heat pad, anti inflammatories and rest :smile: stay off the bike if you've bruised your coccyx

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't know. I wonder if the bike fit might be wrong for your current level of fitness, possibly with the saddle so high that you're over-extending your left hamstring and your legs are not taking enough of your weight. Bike fit seems to change slowly over time.

Me, I wouldn't ride a turbo, but if I suffered those symptoms after a ride, I'd go for a slow shakedown ride with tools, pay close attention to how it was feeling and try to adjust anything that seems off until it was comfortable.

As ever, www.SheldonBrown.com/pain.html

Travs

I was going to explain some glute strecthes but if you google-image "glute stretch" that's a lot simpler. Hamstring, glute and lower back pain would point towards a saddle too high, or if you haven't ridden for a while you may have found that you need to stretch yourself out a bit in prep; natural posture for sitting behind a desk, driving and things like that will let us hunch and get all out of shape. Hip flexors and Psoas muscles get shorter, chest closes up, shoulders rise all too easily etc. etc.

For the moment, as described above, focus on getting rid of your current aches and pains first and then look at getting some flexibility exercises along with a bike fit or at least, lowering of the saddle by a few mm.

Top Bottom