Lower back pain and fai op

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TAV

Guru
Hi im getting lower back pain ive had it for a while. So ive been off the road bike for a few months but ive been missing it so started again but im still getting pain in the lower back the bike set up is the same as ive always had and ive lifted the handle bars up with a few spaces. Its not to bad when im sitting but when i get to a hill which i need to get out of the saddle thats the worst part. I stretch before and after a ride.

I had fai on both hips about 2 years ago the doctor said that riding a bike would be ok, i wounder if cycling is causing the bad back as one doctor told me that cycling on the road in that bent over possition wad the worst thing to do if you have a bad back. Has anybody else have the same problem and whats the best thing to do as i love cycling.

My story can be found here
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/there-is-light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel.164232/#navigation

just started riding again and then broke my neck at end of october 2017.

just listen to your body and ride when your able is what i do even though i know i will suffer after, good luck with it all

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
No when i get a back spasm i go the doctor and he puts me on a waiting list to see the physio he gives me stretches that i already know then it gets better. I think my job doesn't help driving sat down all day im going to do more stretches before and after cycling plus get a lumber support for the car and see if that helps.

Hi im getting lower back pain ive had it for a while. So ive been off the road bike for a few months but ive been missing it so started again but im still getting pain in the lower back the bike set up is the same as ive always had and ive lifted the handle bars up with a few spaces. Its not to bad when im sitting but when i get to a hill which i need to get out of the saddle thats the worst part. I stretch before and after a ride.

I had fai on both hips about 2 years ago the doctor said that riding a bike would be ok, i wounder if cycling is causing the bad back as one doctor told me that cycling on the road in that bent over possition wad the worst thing to do if you have a bad back. Has anybody else have the same problem and whats the best thing to do as i love cycling.

Ive been advised the exact opposite - sitting bolt upright on a bike isn't good. where as leaning forward stretches your back slightly.
Yoga or just stretching helped my back - theres a good book on amazon 'treat your own back' - only £8 - I do the excercises in there when I get a twinge or two!

[QUOTE 5133853, member: 43827"]I suffered badly from lower back pain for years. Massage and other therapies all had short term benefits but the one thing that appears to have made a long term difference was when I decided that I needed to do something to improve my posture and core strength and took up Pilates (Yoga would have the same benefits).

I still have some pain, but generally things have improved a lot. My doc also told me that riding drop bars could help my back by stretching it out, and it never gives me a problem.[/QUOTE]

Yep yoga has been a bit of a gamechanger for me. Its a pity I find it so boring.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ive been advised the exact opposite - sitting bolt upright on a bike isn't good. where as leaning forward stretches your back slightly.
I thought my backache on the bike was being caused by stretching too far down from the saddle to the bars so I kept fiddling with my position, raising the bars and bringing them closer to the saddle. Then I borrowed my cousin's bike and discovered that, actually, a longer/lower position suits me better!

I think I have it just about perfect now, but I might try moving one spacer from below the stem to above it to see what that setup feels like.

Top Bottom