Lower back pain,best riding position

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dee gee

suffering from lower back pain,just wondering which is the best riding position,i.e..Higher seat position,,,raised degree of handlebars,,lower seat position,,,time trial position,,out of the saddle hill climbing tends to suit me best,but when sat on seat and pushing hard thats when i suffer from back pain the most,any other suffers out there,and dont say give up cycling cause thats not going to happen.lol

Born2die

I have degradation of the lower spine at the 20/30 mile mark the pain can get indescribable I'm still fe titling bike position bar height etc not found a solution yet part from stop stretch rest for 5 or if I'm freewheeling I stretch on the bike by shifting as far forward on the saddle as I can and straightening out.

You could try reinforcing your core plenty of sit ups oblique twists leg extensions etc

Doyleyburger

Veteran
I too have that problem now and again. I have my seat quite high to get the best possible extension of my leg for peddling. I tried dropping my bars by a couple of spacers to get better aero but just makes it worse, so I'm back up to full height again. I heard that core exercises are good also. It seems to me that the longer I'm out of the saddle between rides the worse it gets, which is not good, considering I haven't been out in nearly 3 weeks

Cheddar George

oober member
I find the more upright the position the better it is. I have drops on my road bike but i rarely use them, i have the bars set high and tilted upwards with an extra set of brake levers on the top.
I also need to keep my back and body moving either on the bike or running/gym.
Unfortunately the thing that really makes a difference for me is don't push yourself and keep away from hills.

Biker Joe

Über Member
I would go back to basics and check your saddle height, fore/aft position and saddle tilt.
Sit on the bike with both feet on the pedals – get a friend to help, use a trainer or lean against a wall. Place your pedals in the 6 o’clock and 12 o’clock position. Your bottom leg should be fully extended when the heel is placed on the lower pedal. If it’s bent you need to raise the saddle. If you have to rock your hips to reach or simply can’t reach, then lower the saddle. The idea is that when you correctly position your foot on the pedal your knee is just slightly bent at the bottom of the rotation.
Now check the fore/aft position.
Put both pedal cranks into a horizontal position and make sure your kneecap is directly above or slightly behind the pedal spindle.
The saddle tilt is also important.
The general rule is to set the saddle parallel to the ground or tilted slightly upwards.
Ride the bike and see if you need to make any very small adjustments.
Once you have the saddle set to your satisfaction then you can concentrate on setting your bars to the most comfortable position.
For general cycling I would set the bars around 2 inches below saddle height to start with.
When you sit on the saddle with your hands on the top of the bars, the bars should just obscure the front wheel hub from view.
This is a good starting point. You can make further small adjustments to suit you.
Once you have the bike set up properly and you still suffer from back pain it could be physical rather than a bike problem.
Then it's time to seek advice from the GP.
These are the things I would do if I were in your position. Others may have different opinions.
I hope I have been of some help.

Born2die

As an aside I had 6 weeks off the gym, bike and training whilst mini me was on holiday (I'm a single dad and no-one to have her) my back was fine not too hurty before but now my core strength has gone a little I'm really suffering. Your core and obliques really play a big part in supporting your lower back

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
As someone who now has titanium pins in the spine following a prolapsed disc in the lower back I would certainly recommend having the bars level with or higher than the saddle. My current steads are a Specialized Crosstrail hybrid & a Roubaix road bike which has the bars set as high as they will go. Both of these I can ride for 40-50 miles without any back problems during or after the ride.

As has been said, it it mainly about core strength. Bike setup could be a problem but most likey from the core. I suffer from lower back problems due to my work, and have the same issues as you. I am fine until I put in lots of effort whilst seated. Strong stomach muscles would counter the lower back pain, if like me you have strong back muscles but weaker stomach. I would like to think I have a six pack, but if I do it is well insulated:whistle:

ayceejay

Guru
Is riding the bike the cause of the back pain or is this where it effects you most? I think you need to fix the back problem first and then work on flexibility, if your aim is to increase fitness perhaps you could use the bike as just part of a broader effort that includes strength and flexibility training.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
How long have you had the bike?
How far do you ride? How often?
Fit done?

Good lord.... the magical core strength prescription again, maybe try to determine a cause first?

Top Bottom