lower back position on road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
I solved some lower back issues by moving the saddle forward, it was obviously too far back, now everything feels much more compact.

As for my back, somewhere in the middle - if I stand upright, and hinge forward at the hips, whatever my back is doing there is what it feels like on the bike, with the muscles holding it in place. If I can feel it being bent or curved then it's not straight enough.

simongt

Guru
And the bike on the right is equipped with an Osgear derailleur - ! :okay: Haven't seen one of those for many a year - ! ^_^

Cycling_Samurai

Two very different positions. Is one wrong?
I'm going to say the one on the left as his crank arms are probably too long. Conversely his seat height isn't high enough in relation to his crank arm length because his legs aren't long enough. To fix the problem either grow longer legs or use shorter crank arms. The former would be more interesting but the latter would be an easier solution.

I reason the above as I had a bike fit recently and I was dead on in my thinking. So yeah I feel like I wasted money.

Your back problem maybe related to your reach. The bike fitter was surprised that I didn't have any back pain due to my overreach. So I'm just offering some thought although your reach might be correct. Best advice is to start from the foot up. You cannot change your crank position. You can change your position over the crank. Crank arm length, seat post angle, seat position, seat tilt angle, then your reach.

Last edited:

figbat

Slippery scientist
When I went to be measured for a saddle fit they measured my sit-bone width and then did a simple flexibility test, asking me to simply lean forwards (whilst sitting down) and watching my pelvis. I know I am not very flexible and have a weak core and my pelvis therefore tipped forwards - this is why they recommended a saddle with a decent cut-out. A stronger, more flexible person would flex through the lower spine and support their weight through their core, leaving their pelvis more upright and therefore not needing the cut-out so much. The saddle I was moving from was a Fizik with no cut-out and the reason I was saddle shopping was because of the discomfort if caused me. It never occurred to me that my inflexible spine was a contributory factor.

So, I guess to answer the question, different people will ride with different outlines based on their own physiology. Comfort will be defined by factors such as bike fit, flexibility, fitness and strength. Ultimately what works for you will be based on your own situation. There is no universal 'right' or 'wrong' but if you understand your own factors there may be ways to change or improve them with training, stretching, core building and bike fitting.

simongt

Guru
Sort of related; a while ago I stopped off at a cafe and there were two vintage, but pristine road bikes outside. Inside were the two riders who were of 'senior years' and both somewhat stooped due to their age. However, after a very friendly chat, they both mounted their bikes - and were off like road rockets - ! ^_^ Just shows that appearance can be very deceptive - ! :thumbsup:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sort of related; a while ago I stopped off at a cafe and there were two vintage, but pristine road bikes outside. Inside were the two riders who were of 'senior years' and both somewhat stooped due to their age.
That is an interesting point... I saw lots old cyclists in the past who looked like that, but it doesn't seem so common now. Either they were just doing vastly more cycling, and/or their bike setup, and/or hard physical jobs was/were causing it?

Top Bottom