Lower gearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

A cycling story.

About 120 years ago, bicycling was the pastime of only the most courageous men who had the bravado to ride a 'high wheel' "Penny farthing" bicycle.
Onlookers would gaze in amazement as the sturdy young men rode past.

Then, a man in Coventry had an idea. To make this pastime more accessible, and sell a load of his invention, he designed a bicycle that had a smaller wheel which was driven by a low crank axle via a leather belt. It's saddle was closer to the ground making it 'safer' to start, stop, dismount; and it wouldn't pitch the rider off the front at a sudden stop.

He looked at the Penny farthings and saw 52" was the most common. With a 26" drive wheel and a 2:1 ratio, the 52" gear could be accomplished.

There was an initial craze. The public bought the new style bicycle. But alas, this 'cycling' game was not as easy as they thought, because when the new cyclists came to a steepish hill, they stopped dead.

A 52" single gear was far too high and the people soon gave up this stupid pastime and threw the ridiculous contraptions on the rubbish tip because they didn't have the muscular strength to ride these bloody useless bicycle things, and couldn't be bothered to put in some 'hard work'.

Cycling never caught on as a 'popular' hobby and only serious, strong, sportsmen type athletes continued to ride 'bicycles' in competitive events.

Stop Jimbo… you're talking crap again. This is NOT what happened.

Cycling became VERY popular.

What really happened is the people DIDN'T give up. They persevered to increase their strength so they COULD ride their bicycles up the hills.

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
my opionion is compact all the way then when/if you get the legs chanege back,

jimboalee

Must admit. The gearing on that bike is a tad high.

The bike weighs 20lb ?? which means a 50" gear is the baseline for climbing a 10%.

It really needs 15" lower than this to ride up a road with a double chevron.

39 x 25 is 42" so will just about be OK for one chevron. It might need 38" if the hill is 18 - 20%.

If it was my bike, I wouldn't spend money on it for the sake of a few walking 18% hills.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
porkypete said:
my opionion is triple all the way then when/if you get the legs change back.

my opinion is triple, or decent compact(by this I mean an outer smaller than 48 and an inner smaller than 34), all the way and then never bother changing back. There's nothing wrong with the permanent comfort of a lower gear and saving weight, by dropping a ring, is of no import for you.

jimboalee

MacB said:
my opinion is triple, or decent compact(by this I mean an outer smaller than 48 and an inner smaller than 34), all the way and then never bother changing back. There's nothing wrong with the permanent comfort of a lower gear and saving weight, by dropping a ring, is of no import for you.

Have you seen a Bianchi 1885? :biggrin:

The OP is not going to look a 'hard' roughty toughty with a 48 ring on it. :biggrin:

Keep the gearing it's got. Swear at the hills and climb them.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
jimboalee said:
Have you seen a Bianchi 1885? :rolleyes:

The OP is not going to look a 'hard' roughty toughty with a 48 ring on it. :biggrin:

yep hideous bike, I can't imagine any combo of rings could make it look worse

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
jimboalee said:
Have you seen a Bianchi 1885? :rolleyes:

I may have been over-reacting after last Friday's ride to Brighton. It was my first ride over 20 miles in 8 weeks, after my broken hand and arm, so I had obviously lost some of my fitness. After 8 damp hours, I struggled up the last hill. Not the main Ditchling but still quite hard.

Perhaps I should wait a bit and get some more miles into my legs.

I did alright on the Strines ride, and only walked up one hill.

MacB said:
yep hideous bike, I can't imagine any combo of rings could make it look worse

You only have to asked Al and I'll let you have a go. I hate to see a man so full of jealousy :rofl:

jimboalee said:
Not even a nun would ride it. :rofl:

She would have trouble getting her leg over.

Top Bottom