Lowering the driver saddle on a tandem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Evening all.

I used to be a very regular poster here back in the early days but I drifted away as life changed. However, tonight I have a bike problem and I thought that if anyone could help, they'd probably be here. So hi again!

During Lockdown, we bought a tandem on eBay. The goal is for me to be the driver and my strong but lethal-on-roads son would be the stoker until he grew older. The tandem was unseen, obvs, but the vendor sent me the frame size and I was fairly confident it would fit me. Today, we finally picked it up. It's absolutely beautiful and we love it. However...what I hadn't counted on (being new to tandems) was that the driver saddle is much higher than a normal saddle because of the stem-thing that attaches the stoker handlebars. (That's such a bad description, I'll attach a photo). I can't move the saddle down to a level where I can safely sit on it.

Oh tandem experts - is there anything we can do? Is there another way of attaching stoker handlebars that allows me to lower the driver saddle enough that my short legs will fit? PLEASE say yes, I'd be gutted to have to rehome this beauty!

Attachments

• IMG_7814.jpg
    IMG_7814.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 45

classic33

Leg End Member
Kiddie cranks?

Or after checking the picture, could you mount the stokers handlebars on the top tube. If not, what about a smaller clamp on the seatpost

Welcome back

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Kiddie cranks?

Or after checking the picture, could you mount the stokers handlebars on the top tube. If not, what about a smaller clamp on the seatpost

Welcome back

Thank you, it's lovely to be back! I would LOVE to mount the stoker's handlebars on the top tube - is that an option? What would I buy? What's the technical term for the component?

Sorry...this is all new.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
That already looks better. I need to lower the saddle by a good inch (ideally two, I have VERY short legs) but this is much smaller than the one we have.

I'm encouraged that we might be able to fix this, I was a little despairing beforehand.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Both the seat clamp and the handle bar stem seem very bulky, but I am not sure 2 inches would be possible Without losing them stem completely.

Sharky

Guru
Another option - what length are your cranks?
Probably 170mm? If they are solid cranks, you can get them re-drilled to make them 150mm. This will allow you to have a higher saddle.

Don't be worried by shorter cranks, after a very short while, you don't notice the difference. All my bikes are now 150 or 145mm cranks, except for the tandem.

I'm guessing they are tandem cranks, with the chainring on the left? So options to buy shorter cranks may be limited. If they are normal cranks, have a look at Sinz expert square taper cranks. They do a huge range of crank lengths .

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Another option - what length are your cranks?
Probably 170mm? If they are solid cranks, you can get them re-drilled to make them 150mm. This will allow you to have a higher saddle.

Don't be worried by shorter cranks, after a very short while, you don't notice the difference. All my bikes are now 150 or 145mm cranks, except for the tandem.

I'm guessing they are tandem cranks, with the chainring on the left? So options to buy shorter cranks may be limited. If they are normal cranks, have a look at Sinz expert square taper cranks. They do a huge range of crank lengths .

Thank you. I actually don't know my crank lengths but I shall get measuring tomorrow. Appreciate your suggestions very much.l

Sharky

Guru
Yet one more possibility. If you can get a simple seat post without an integrated clamp. On sjs cycles there is one for £3.99, but need to check diameters. Then using a separate clamp you might achieve a lower saddle. You can also fit the saddle clamp upside down to lower it even further.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
As above, that seems like a very bulky stoker stem. Also the double clamp for the seat-post seems over the top.

Top Bottom