Lowering the driver saddle on a tandem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JDR

Regular
The pilot's bottom braket is usually mounted in an 'eccentric' that can be roated - to take the slack out of the front chain. If this is neither at the extreme front or extreme rear, make sure that the actual bottom bracket is in the upper, not lower part of the circle. If it is in the lower part, rotate it - moving it back towards the rear wheel to do this - to the uppe part. THis could bring the pedals up to half an inch closer to the pilot saddle.

There are some nuts underneath to loosen first, to let you do this - and you need a rod or maybe two, depending, to rotate it. Can be a bit stiff

Pilot, not driver - and not captain. Pilots guide but they are not in control. Unhappy stokers stop riding tandems.

Did you ever sort this out?
I think that she got the boy a MTB recently so maybe it is now moot.

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
Late to the thread but ...

Having bought a new tandem to get around this exact same issue ... Thorn Raven Twin from SJSC :biggrin: ... One though I was having, which depends on the length and diameter of the top tube, would be to use an appropriate sized handlebar stem on the top tube.

MartynA10

Late to the thread but ...

Having bought a new tandem to get around this exact same issue ... Thorn Raven Twin from SJSC :biggrin: ... One though I was having, which depends on the length and diameter of the top tube, would be to use an appropriate sized handlebar stem on the top tube.
Good quality cycle frame tubing is a lot thinner walled than seat posts so it could well be damaged before the the clamp is tight enough to take the torque from the stoker bars. The other problem is that the front top tube would be uncomfortably high when mounting, stopped at junctions and so on. The route you took yourselves does seem to be the only really satisfactory one.

If the problem is less extreme than the OP had, the option of using a horizontal clamp-on tube, then a near vertical stem from that might help. This seems to be the favoured set up used on new tandems at the moment - see J D Cycles and Thorn current bikes.

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
You make a good point @MartynA10. I have both of the Thorn Options for adjustable Stoker Stems, and even the 28 degree option was a bit too tall to be perfectly comfortable for my knees :sad:

I could look at the Nitto option though, but even at 35mm it may still be to tall compared to the original. ... Serves me right for buying the biggest frame under the instructions of my "stoker" who has "Long Legs". She just "forgot" to take into account that mine are shorter than average :angry::angry:

It looks to me that the seat post clamp is fairly large and the saddle rails are hard up against the extension clamp, from your picture it’s difficult to see how you can drop the seat post in any further into the frame?

Top Bottom