Lube New Chain or Not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Just find a shiny new KMC chain to my Winter bike. I am sure that this will divide opinion, quite probably, but do you lube a new chain or just use it with manufacturers protection that it comes with?

Cheers.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I use for a few hundred miles then lube. But if it has rained then lube it anyway.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
It's brand new at present, so I planned to use it as is and then clean and lube when required as usual. Sounds like the same as you suggest.

howdenbiker

I agree with Ian above, remember to lube though if it rains. I asked my stepson if his Cannondale MB was going ok, he said great but I think I need to oil the chain. I heartily agreed being as it appeared to be orange!

shadow master

With the road fully salted as they are now,I would be very wary of just relying on the original lube from the maker for too long

shadow master

I was under the impression that sticky grease on bulk packaged chains was for shipping and storage rather than for riding,I notice shimano chains have a rather nicer finer lube on,smells like hypoid 90 if anyone knows what I mean by that.

Drago

Legendary Member
And hypoid is a decent penetrator, clings exceptionally well, and is able to handle high pressures. It's also very cheap, and why it's my favourite tipple for my chains.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
As soon as my new chain looked dirtyish I ran it through a baby wipe and added lube . Then ran it through again . I guess that was after about two weeks but the time of year doesn't help .

ayceejay

Guru
That sticky stuff they put on is to prevent the chain from rusting in the box not for lubrication the chain is sealed against moisture and oil which may be a clue.

shadow master

That sticky stuff they put on is to prevent the chain from rusting in the box not for lubrication the chain is sealed against moisture and oil which may be a clue.
Yep that's what I always thought,its to sticky as a lube as dust and bits would stick to it.

jack smith

Veteran
Id lube it anyway my road bike has been used once in the grit and the chain, cassette and every screw rusted, im pretty sire it was lubed beforehand but i did forget to wash it afterwards... Was on ages scrubbing and polishing the rust off

Top Bottom