Lube...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Do you use wet lube in wet conditions and dry lube in dry?
Do you prefer light oil?

I don't know what to put on the new bike...it seems it's got light oil on it.
What's best? Arrgghhh!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Do you use wet lube in wet conditions and dry lube in dry?
Do you prefer light oil?

I don't know what to put on the new bike...it seems it's got light oil on it.
What's best? Arrgghhh!
I get good results with chainsaw CHAIN oil as do several others but the secret is whatever you use little and often is best.

MikeW-71

Veteran
I've been using Finish Line wet lube. A 200ml bottle has lasted over a year. I have a bottle of Halfords stuff to try next, seems similar. Little and often.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I use wet lube all year round- since it'll get wet at least once a week on a commute.
The light oil on your brand new bike is far superior to anything you can buy- try to leave it on for as long as possible!
Muc-off have just released a new wet and dry lube combo (not heard if it's any good- just saw an ad for it)

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I`ve bee using Finish Line Wet lube, but even using small amounts its does generally end up a gunky mess. Finish Line Dry lube in my experience is no good for winter riding unless applying after any wet commute or ride.I`m thinking about this chainsaw oil for the commuter http://www.screwfix.com/p/hp-146-chainsaw-oil-1ltr/27933#product_additional_details_container its cheap as ??!!

Just remembered about another oil I used previous, it was Pro Lube out of Decathlon, don`t bother with it tho, it certainly oils the chain but it flings all over the rear wheel even after wiping of excess, totally criminal that!!

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I've always used finish line wet all year too.
It probably doesn't matter what you use as long as the little and often mantra is adhered to. You do need to clean the muck off every now and again too!

buggi

Bird Saviour
I've always been a bit confused as well. I've always used the wet stuff coz it seems mostly my rides are wet. (oo-er mrs). I might try chainsaw oil. Does it not get mucky like the wet stuff?

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
Finish line ceramic. After a wet/muddy mtb ride it just needs a wipe over with the sponge and shampoo, good rinse, then replacing with a sparing drizzle once the chain's dried. Road bike, a simple mickleing.
Yes, this is what I do...wash down with Muc Off, then dried and I lube the chain a little later when it's completely dry.
I've been using Muc Off dry lube and found it fine, just wondered if I should do anything else/different with the new bike.
She's pretty and deserves the best :wub:

Top Bottom