Lube...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Chainsaw oil, or maybe 2 cycle engine oil. I've used Finish Line with indifferent results. In the Mid West, someone is always cutting down trees, so chainsaw bar and chain oil is pretty ubiquitous.

Cubist

Still wavin'
How about simple car shampoo? I use Turtle wax, although I do keep it clear of the brakes.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I sometimes think that we think too much about stuff. Lube is there to reduce friction in the rollers and bushings. Most relatively viscose oils will do a grand job at this.

When my cycle branded lube was running out, I started using 90w gear oil. I use this to service my Alfine hub and after half a dozen services the oil was getting dirty. Rather than discard, I funneled it into my empty Finish Line xcountry bottle. Stinks, but works a treat.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Progold Prolink - all year round (very) little and often. To clean - Fenwicks FS1 (1 litre from 8.99 ish, makes 10 litres when diluted!), spray all over, leave 10 min, rinse off light spray clean water, drain, light spray all over GT85.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Does that stuff leave a gunky mess just I see halfords have it for £6.50, Evans are wanting nearly £15!! Does it actually stick to the chain or fling off ? I`ve had other oils which even with small amounts flys off and splatters the rear wheel and frame with droplets of oil.

Peteaud

Veteran
Finish Line Wet ceramic - winter bike
Finish line teflon - summer bike.

Pedros cleaner and dodo juice red mist to finish off the frame.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Used to steal hubbys but he complained :whistle:
With the Muc Off I don't have to worry about where I plaster it :laugh:
Muc-Off is a bit harsh in terms of degreasing, so go easy on the bearings, hubs, drivetrain. If you use dry lube as suggested, the only build up on the bike will be dirt and mud, and you don't get all that black gritty gunk on your drivetrain. Halfords do three for two or BOGOF promotions on Turtle Wax, so take advantage of those. I got three huge bottles for about £3 last year, and it's lasted well!

SImply wet the bike all over to loosen mud, sponge and brush with warm water and shampoo, using the sponge to wipe down the chain and a nylon brush on the mechs and cassette, rinse with a gentle hosing and wipe dry. You can then use GT85 to disperse water from the drivetrain (not brakes or rotors!) and relube once it's ready.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Does that stuff leave a gunky mess just I see halfords have it for £6.50, Evans are wanting nearly £15!! Does it actually stick to the chain or fling off ? I`ve had other oils which even with small amounts flys off and splatters the rear wheel and frame with droplets of oil.
Halfords = 4oz, Evans = 16 oz ! Have no problems with gunk or spray off. I apply with hypodermic - 1 drop per chain roller, use on 3 bikes and 4oz bottle lasts over a year. (Have used it on 2 bikes exclusively from new). Also use it on other pivot points - front and rear mechs, brakes, pedals (cleat springs). cable adjusters etc.

maltloaf

After a wet ride (which they mostly have been this winter) I douse the chain in gt85 by spraying every link then run it through a rag for a few mins, making sure the inner spaces are clean as well as the outer plates. As soon as it's dry I apply a small drop of 3in1 to each link in turn.
I tried a bottle of the pro link gold stuff but the chain got gunked up really quickly. 3 in 1 does a better job IMHO and is about 1/3 of the price.

If it's dry I lube each link roughly every 4th ride (so around every 100 to 150 miles) and then clean with gt85 whenever it looks cruddy.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Finish line ceramic, clean chain after every ride, dry and relube.. A shimano chain lasts for ages if you look after the chain.

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
I'll prob buy Finish Line WET .....
but meantime i have full cans of GT85 and Weldtite Cycle Oil [ ''a light oil - low viscosity for cables and chains etc'']

any problems using them to clean, then lube..?

Top Bottom