Lubrication on new parts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ren531

Über Member
Having just built up a new bike with new pedals axles etc what is the general concensus on the factory applied grease on moving parts is it worth opening them up to see/apply more, asking because I have just removed the dust caps from the pedals and there seems very little grease in there at all.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yep, worth the bother in my humble opinion and experience.
Shimano hubs for example are terrible for a lack of factory applied grease.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I ride in all weathers so I grease the BB threads to prevent them seizing. What I don’t grease or lube when new is cables - clean n dry is my approach otherwise it attracts muck.

Petrichorwheels

Yep, worth the bother in my humble opinion and experience.
Shimano hubs for example are terrible for a lack of factory applied grease.

agreed, definitely on hubs - god knows what shimano (who I generally think highly of) are up to - I know we are talking massive volumes so their savings must add up, but still.
Any new hub of mine is taken apart - including on hand-built wheels, as the wheel builders are of course using off-the-shelf hubs - wouldn't expect them to take them apart.
I also take apart and check new headsets.
also a good idea with pedals, though sometimes takes me a while to get round to.

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
Yes I was using lube as a generalised meaning, its really grease on any bearing surfaces, but having had a better look everything bar the pedal axles are sealed bearings anyway.

Top Bottom