Lubrication question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kookas

Über Member
Must the cassette and chainring be lubricated?

Not specifically. When you put the oil on the chain, the chain will lubricate the cassette and chainring while you ride anyway. You might want to give the bike a spin through each gear after oiling the chain to do that. Do remember to oil the jockey wheels and derailleurs, though.

OP
OP
N

novetan

Über Member
Tks.

1) If the cassette need not be lub, why need to lub the jockey wheels?

2) I presume you are refering to lubricate the front derailers in case chain rubbing?

HovR

Über Member
Tks.

1) If the cassette need not be lub, why need to lub the jockey wheels?

2) I presume you are refering to lubricate the front derailers in case chain rubbing?

The actual teeth of the jockey wheels don't need lubricating, however the bushings (or sometimes bearings) that the jockey wheels spin on occasionally need some grease applying. If it sounds like you can hear birds chirping when you change gear, that's most likely your upper jockey wheel. Greasing these requires removal of the jockey wheels, so if you don't feel comfortable doing this then it's a job for your LBS (although it's quite easy, really).

The front derailleur cage doesn't really need any lubrication, however the pivots will benefit from occasional lubrication if they start to get stiff.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Derailleurs seldom need lubrication; the tolerances are so tight and the pivots so well engineered and the range of movement so small that I've never found lubrication to make any difference. Stiff operation and poor gearchanging is always down to a dry and rusty cable inner and outer at the rear derailleur.

PK99

Legendary Member
Must the cassette and chainring be lubricated?

The cassette does not need ANY lubrication. The moving part is the chain, and that only needs internal lubrication (shush, in the back row!). Bathing the cassette and outside of the chain or the chainrings (as some folks seem to do) simply acts as a crud magnet and creates a very effective grinding paste.

Lube the chain.leave to penetrate, wipe off excess.

Top Bottom