Lubrication

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
Thanks for all of the replies again .
The chain is already on and fitted with the power link . I know I am being thick here but why would I then need a splitter to remove the chain to put a new one on IF the new one was fitted with powerlink , am I missing something here ?

Chain splitter will be needed for a new chain that's too long

Ciar

Veteran
I generally use a chain cleaner machine thingy, then apply finish line step 1, depending on the weather i either apply wet or dry lube after it's all been cleaned and wiped down, seems to do the trick.

arch684

Veteran
Thanks for all of the replies again .
The chain is already on and fitted with the power link . I know I am being thick here but why would I then need a splitter to remove the chain to put a new one on IF the new one was fitted with powerlink , am I missing something here ?
A new chain will be to long and will need links removed to fit your bike.the power link needs two open ends to fit have a look at your power link and you will see what i mean

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

And there was me thinking that there were different length chains for different types of bikes and you simply put them on!
I really am proving beyond all doubt what an amateur I am! :laugh:
So when you change a chain then how do you determine how many links to take out?
Any tips on a decent cheap splitter then?

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Thanks Morrisman
Come to think of it now lying the old chain next to the new one does make sense! :laugh:
I take it all chains are oversized then?

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Oh God! I:laugh:
In that case then I wouldn't need a chain splitter, but I am buying one anyway :smile:
I think the Topeak above comes with a chain hook 'thing' so that SHOULD be me all sorted

I've always just relied on using gt85 but I change chain and cassette every spring.
This mickle method. Is this really sufficient in winter? What about all the salt on the roads, doesn't that call for something a bit more thorough?

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

My chain and cassette aren't lasting that long though, I need to try and maintain it so it does....

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

That makes two of us, thanks everyone
What may be simple for some isn't for others....... ME! :smile:

cheap bike oil any brand, clean regular as mentioned by the mickle method, measure the chain with a ruler front of one link count 12 and the 12th should be 12" apart, 1" chain links see, if its less than 12 1/16 its ok, between 12 1/16 and 12 1/8 it needs changing if its over 12 1/8 cassette will probably need it too. Chain checkers can give a false wear indication as they push the chain apart, could be the reason many people say they have to change their chains so quickly (convinced they were designed by chain manufactures so people buy more chains), just measured mine this week and I can't tell how much over 12" it is but not so much as 1/16th shows, and I have done 3,000 miles on it, mind you I ride a triple so that helps.

Top Bottom