Lubrication

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
sooooo then , nothing but raw crude then if you don't want anything synthetic on your chain ......... I oil the chain up good and wet then use a cloth to clean all the excess off then a few drops . the mickle maybe method if you like. it clears the crud off the chain and i do like a quiet bike. the B&Q chainsaw oil is working well still
i have heard of people using natural mineral oils, not sure but i'm fairly sure the chainsaw oil i use is natural. just use what works
if WD40 works for you @Citius then i'm not going to stop you but i know i wouldn't use it personally
Cheers Ed

subaqua

What’s the point
i have heard of people using natural mineral oils, not sure but i'm fairly sure the chainsaw oil i use is natural. just use what works
if WD40 works for you @Citius then i'm not going to stop you but i know i wouldn't use it personally
Cheers Ed

the only natural mineral oil is crude. once its been through the refinery it has had all sorts of stuff added to it. which is not natural. and raw crude isn't that good a lubricant.

Citius

Cheers Ed

You need to go back and read what I said. I never said it 'works for me' or anything like that - I never even claimed to use it. I simply corrected your inaccurate assertion that it was not a lubricant.

Kumquat

A good squirt with WD40 is a good thing if the chain is covered in crap, then wipe (Mickle) it all off and lube properly (with chainsaw chain oil for me :becool:)

I considered getting chainsaw oil, but I could only find it in huge quantities that I really don't need! Got some unbranded bike stuff with teflon in from decathlon, cheaper than I could find elsewhere.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Because some people don't believe in chainsaw oil.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
What I do is spray the GT85 onto an old t shirt and run the chain through it to just clean the outside of the chain as much as anything
Then spin the chain again while dripping a bit of Teflon all weather lube into the centre of the chain.
Do this once a week, I commute 3 times a week usually, a total of about 70 miles each week.
Sorted :smile:

Top Bottom