Lucid Lynx anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeltz

Veteran
sounds like a shower gel...

buddha

Veteran
Just installed and using it now (I waited for the final release, as there were reported issues with my graphics chip in the beta)

Fast boot time on the laptop <10 sec - which included the choosing win/ubuntu in grub bit. Installation seemed quicker too.
Dunno about the purple theme though

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm on 9.10 and its going well so I don't plan to upgrade. This coming up with fresh releases every six months is a bit silly, every couple of years would be better.

GrasB

Veteran
been on 10.04 since the first beta was announced.

dave r, it makes perfect sense imo. Regardless of which release is current you have at minimum 1 year support & access to the recent versions of software. If you want longer support then the LTS gives you 3/5 years of support on a platform which is fairly version stable. No where does it say you must upgrade to the latest version as soon as it's released.

So you can have your every couple of years platform & keep with that but it allows people who want to keep more up-to-date to do so.

Been on the beta for a while and it was the first version which included all the drivers for my laptop so was obviously the easiest to install for me. Looks nice and I haven't tried "Ubuntu one" or whatever it's called yet but I will do at some point. I use it more than windows at the moment despite being a linux novice.

D

Deleted member 1258

GrasB said:
been on 10.04 since the first beta was announced.

dave r, it makes perfect sense imo. Regardless of which release is current you have at minimum 1 year support & access to the recent versions of software. If you want longer support then the LTS gives you 3/5 years of support on a platform which is fairly version stable. No where does it say you must upgrade to the latest version as soon as it's released.

So you can have your every couple of years platform & keep with that but it allows people who want to keep more up-to-date to do so.

I started with Ubuntu 8.10 about eighteen months ago. I found that the two times I upgraded, 9.04 and 9.10, I went from a stable working system to a system that had problems on it, and I had to waste a lot of hours problem solving to get it to work as well as the system I upgraded from. If they put more time between releases it would give the people developing the release more time to debug it and give the people using it something that works better.

GrasB

Veteran
dave r said:
I started with Ubuntu 8.10 about eighteen months ago. I found that the two times I upgraded, 9.04 and 9.10, I went from a stable working system to a system that had problems on it, and I had to waste a lot of hours problem solving to get it to work as well as the system I upgraded from. If they put more time between releases it would give the people developing the release more time to debug it and give the people using it something that works better.
If you want stable you keep with the version you have, if you want the latest & greatest you put up with niggles. You can't have it both ways.
As for problems 8.04 -> 8.10 -> 9.04 -> 9.10ß -> 10.04ß have all worked fine for me.

D

Deleted member 1258

GrasB said:
If you want stable you keep with the version you have, if you want the latest & greatest you put up with niggles. You can't have it both ways.
As for problems 8.04 -> 8.10 -> 9.04 -> 9.10ß -> 10.04ß have all worked fine for me.

Why can't we have it both ways?

GrasB

Veteran
You can either have longer release periods so that software is matured & well tested. Or you have short release periods, less testing but closer to cutting edge software that will be buggy as the programme development is done in the public arena.

PBancroft

Using 10.4 now, have been for about a month.

I like it. I only use it on my laptop, which does get used daily for "normal" tasks (emails, social networking, word processing, browsing the web etc.) but if it falls over there's no great loss. Actually, Lucid Lynx hasn't fallen over on my yet...

Top Bottom