lucky discovery!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bubbles3

Just before setting off today i discovered my back wheel was loose. Couldn't help but think i had a lucky escape yesterday when i was doing 30mph on a downhill section. That could have been nasty.

rockyraccoon

Veteran
quick release come undone?

I sometimes cast an eye along the student bike sheds at work. One time, I saw an MTB with the front v-brake disconnected. All the parts seemed visually fine. Funny, I thought, why would someone disconnect a perfectly good front brake? Oh, I see, the wheel is way out of true, must have been rubbing too much to ride . . . wonder what's up with the wheel - I pick up bike and give the wheel a spin, true as a laser beam, momentary bafflement, something weird happened with the hub? Oh, no! Look! one wheel nut has come loose and the axle has jammed halfway down the drop-out. Find spanner, fix, reconnect brake, find student, have fatherly talk about bike maintenance, mechanical sympathy and the art of staying alive . . .

Chris S

Legendary Member
Does your bike have vertical dropouts? If so the the wheel will just skew and rub against the frame. The same will happen with horizontal dropouts, so long as they're not the open-ended type.

Top Bottom