Lucky to make it back.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Half way through a 20 miles ride, I stopped for a drink and noticed that ( see photo) on my chain.I knew something wasn't right on my way , so nursed the bike back, trying not to exert too much pressure on the chain. New chain for me next week then.

Nasty.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I broke a chain (at the special black joining pin) 100 yards from home after a long MTB ride. That was lucky!

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Why didn't you just whip out the broken bit with your chain tool and repair the chain with one of your spare quicklinks? :whistle:
I do carry quick links and chain tool but have never done it before so I didn't want to be stranded in case I messed it up. I guess I will need to get some practice at home, just in case it happens again, although this is the first time in 10 years of cycling. :whistle:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I do carry quick links and chain tool but have never done it before so I didn't want to be stranded in case I messed it up. I guess I will need to get some practice at home, just in case it happens again, although this is the first time in 10 years of cycling. :whistle:
Yes - practising at home in the warm and dry is a good idea!

A friend of mine wore out a tyre on a ride and the other one didn't look too good either. She asked me to order some suitable replacements, which I did. When the new tyres arrived I showed her how to fit them and supervised her doing the job. She said that it would be much quicker if I had done it, but I pointed out that one day she would probably get a puncture when nobody was around to help her so it made sense to have done it before at least once.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Yes - practising at home in the warm and dry is a good idea!

A friend of mine wore out a tyre on a ride and the other one didn't look too good either. She asked me to order some suitable replacements, which I did. When the new tyres arrived I showed her how to fit them and supervised her doing the job. She said that it would be much quicker if I had done it, but I pointed out that one day she would probably get a puncture when nobody was around to help her so it made sense to have done it before at least once.

Hope you pointed out it’s their job to do their tyres unless they want to pay you £40 for the convenience.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I once nursed a loaded fixed-wheel for several kms across Normandy to a bike shop. One side plate had cracked across a pin.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
This reminds me of the 3 guys I have rescued riding tubeless over the past 2 years. The lbs fitted tubeless tyres to their bikes and yet they had never removed the tyres or tried to reinflate them with a CO2 cartridge or a pump. When it came to it they couldnt fix them in the field.
Learn to fix things at home. Its much easier 😉

ren531

Über Member
I had the same thing happen to me a few years back on my commuter bike, only discovered it by doing my once a while check round, how long it had been like that i dont know.

Top Bottom