Lucozade energy drink

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

I have bought a bottle twice when bonked and each time it has made no positive difference at all...in fact I felt worse...it's also very sweet and sticky...

...anybody else have a view?....Maybe there is something else I can get easily on the road that is better?

Keith Oates

Janner
I find Gatorade is the one that helps me on longer rides, there are also many flavours so one or more of them should be good for your taste!!!!!!!!!!

chris42

I have found the best bonk repair is, full fat coke and a mars bar.
Obviously only if you are near a shop but it does work if you haven't brought enough food.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Yorkshireman said:
I work on the theory that it's better not to tempt 'The Bonk Monkey'. Suitable food/drink before and during (small amounts) the ride works for me.

Absolutely!
Lucozade is OK, but a bit acidic, but made from powder it's pretty yummy. Other powder sports drinks are OK too, SIS prods etc. Easy to carry pre-weighed quantities to top-up as you go.

Otherwise, drink water and keep a regular stream of jelly babies, apricots etc. going down the hatch. If you start bonking you've really got it wrong.
Distance cycling is ALL about fuel.

wafflycat

Traditional Lucozade energy drink is very different from Lucozade Sport. Which one is being referred to by the OP? Traditional Lucozade is *very* sweet whereas the Lucozade Sport is isotonic (less sweet than normal Lucozade) so it has the additional electrolytes in it. Trad Lucozade would be useful if you've bonked and require energy *now* whereas Lucozade Sport is one to be drinking little and often during a long ride to keep you properly hydrated and help with keeping energy levels maintained. Personally I find trad Lucozade far too sweet, but the isontonic stuff (in its various flavours) is something I can tolerate on a long ride. There's even an isotonic one with added caffeine now.

Big Bren

Lucozade sport is good stuff - I use it during all forms of exercise, and get good results. Important to heed the advice though that you shouldn't wait until you're thirsty to start drinking it - I usually start about 20 mins before the ride/run etc starts, then keep topping up. Works for me.

Bren

Nah, Lucozade Sport is disgusting !

Or at any rate the 'orange' (I think it means colour rather than taste) stuff is, but the wild berry or whatever it's called is quite good.

After a couple of London Marathons, being handed the orange stuff every 5 miles, I'll never choose to drink it.

SIS PSP22 or Go are much more palatable.

wafflycat

I can't stomach PSP22. Instant nausea. On the other hand, the citrus and the raspberry Lucozade Sport I like. The lemon with added caffeine is good too. SiS Go is okay, but still haven't found a flavour I really like with it.

Membrane

Bigtallfatbloke said:
I have bought a bottle twice when bonked and each time it has made no positive difference at all...in fact I felt worse...it's also very sweet and sticky...

...anybody else have a view?....Maybe there is something else I can get easily on the road that is better?

If you bonked as a result of dehydration then downing a single bottle won't suficiently rehydrate you.

How much to drink when on the bike varies depending on how hard you work and temperature. The rule of thumb I use is that ideally you should pass water every 2 hours or so, if you don't then you are not taking in enough fluid.

Vigorous cycling can use 600kcal per hour. The body typically stores 1500 - 2000 kcal that can be output, so you should eat on ~2.5h+ rides as well as drink.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I didnt know that...ta.

I was looking for an instant fix...having died a death or two already! I should have bought the normal stuff then. How can anything be sweeter than the LA Sport though????!!! That stuff is seriously sickly, I have to dilute it with at least 75% water.

I think I will try to keep one bottle of the sports stuff (diluted) and one plain water on my bike from now on & see if regular intake will prevent the dreaded bonks I've experienced.
Thanks for the info.

Membrane

Bigtallfatbloke said:
I didnt know that...ta.

I was looking for an instant fix...having died a death or two already! I should have bought the normal stuff then. How can anything be sweeter than the LA Sport though????!!! That stuff is seriously sickly, I have to dilute it with at least 75% water.

I don't recognize that at all. Regular Lucozade Energy is probably sickly sweet (only tried Red Bull myself once, found it disgusting), Lucozade Sport is about as sweet as normal orange juice.

I think I will try to keep one bottle of the sports stuff (diluted)

Diluting sports drinks will hinder absorbtion by the body, it can also result in a sodium deficiency.

Top Bottom