Lufthansa and bikes - any experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Debade

Über Member
I did not read all the posts so perhaps someone else also had experience with bikes on Lufthansa. I flew from NYC to Edinburgh/ Copenhagen to NYC in 2015. Overall, great experience but not trouble free.

1. At NYC airport, the people at the desk were not well trained. We were prepared for this and insisted on a manager. She was not well versed. 20 minutes later, she returned to the counter, I assume after speaking to Lufthansa, understanding the roll on policy. They took our bikes at that point. (Mu understanding is that the airport ticket takers are outsourced and perhaps not trained as well. Especially for something like bikes on planes which does not happen often, I do not believe)
2. We were able to see our bikes at the layover airport from the window. They were in the airport runway moving carts. One had fallen. The other upright. We were concerned they would not make our flight since they were not loaded while we were getting on the plane. They arrived with us, however.
3. Only problem upon arrival in E was one of the bikes had a damaged fender. It was the bike that had fallen. Perhaps the fall was the caused or it was coincidental. We took pictures and replaced the fender at a LBS. We were refunded the entire amount.
4. From Copenhagen to NYC, bikes arrived with no damage

We have put our bikes on planes and shipped them UPS in the States over the years. Lufthansa was equal or better than those experience which were typically pretty good.

Let me know if you/others have questions.

mixtetape

Thanks @Debade - that's encouraging.

Am tempted to do it - not least because we leave from Lufthansa's 'home airport', as it were. Still... seems almost too straightforward, so we'll prepare ourselves for some hiccups. And leave extra time at the airport.

mixtetape

Yikes, that's scary.

I guess the risk is always there, and I suspect many baggage handlers would be more careful than with a box, so CTC bags/'naked bikes' etc still make sense. Dunno. Will report back after our little tour.

Debade

Über Member
Thanks @Debade - that's encouraging.

Am tempted to do it - not least because we leave from Lufthansa's 'home airport', as it were. Still... seems almost too straightforward, so we'll prepare ourselves for some hiccups. And leave extra time at the airport.

It was very easy in Copenhagen. We took a bus to the airport the day before so we could put boxes and tape in a locker. We purchased the boxes and tape in Copenhagen.

The day of our flight, we rode our packed bikes to the airport from our accommodations. Incredibly easy to do there. Packed our boxes at the airport. Rolled our bikes to the counter with our boxes. Got fast and no fret check-in. And went to eat lunch. Exactly how bike travel should be!!

mixtetape

So this happened (ages ago now). We delivered the bikes by hand to Lufthansa staff, they rolled them away nicely. When we arrived to the UK I looked out of the plane window to see them being thrown out of the cargo hold onto the buggy. They did deliver the bikes to the baggage hall, by which time my chain was twisted in ways I did not think possible. We did manage to undo that and cycle back from Paddington (the train that isn't heathrow express accepts bikes, which is cool). Still, would definitely not do that again, only because of what happened at this end.

Top Bottom