Lufthansa and bikes - any experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
According to this site it's between 8 and 12 euro a day - you could probably a hire a bike for about £70 a week. That's about half the price of a Bike Clam shell box and it would be a lot less bother.
http://www.danube-cycle-path.com/germany-bike-rentals.html

I said road bike, for me means something that I can do 70-100 miles a day on in comfort and speed.

Not some noddy bike.

grahamb11

I travelled with Lufthansa with my bike several years ago and they operated this policy then. They handled it fine without any problems. It also meant I could cycle to Heathrow as I live nearby. I could also cycle from the destination airport without fiddling around with the bike. It seems to me this is the only sensible baggage policy with bikes, as if you're going touring and box it up you have to find somewhere to park the box while you go onward to your destination, or you find yourself carting it around on trains - often not a convenient process.
I have never found a bike bag which was a reasonable price which fitted my bike without almost dismantling it, something I don't like doing very much in places where I don't have a lot of tools with me. Mine in a sort of indestructible touring bike and will take knocks, though wheels will always be ready to buckle if a heavy case is dumped on them.
I have also hired a bike in Germany. No big problem with this but they seem mostly to have 'City Bikes' on hire. Prices seem to be from around 10 Euros a day. In 'cycling' areas like Munster it seems most bike shops will hire you something, some at even less.
I wish other airlines were as laidback about it as Lufthansa. A quick run through the various airlines policies indicate that there is little logic or reason behind their policies except Ryanair, of course, who just regard it as another way of lifting money from your wallet.

sazzaa

Can't say I've used flown with a bike using Lufthansa, but I can say that their customer service is excellent and staff in general are super helpful compared to some other airlines...

Debade

Über Member
My DW and I are planning a North Sea tour this July/August. We have done lots of touring in USA and Canada but not Europe. We are beginning to look at flights and saw you post about Lufthansa roll on/off bike program. That looks like something we would be interested. Did you ultimately do that and if so, what was your experience? Thanks

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
My DW and I are planning a North Sea tour this July/August. We have done lots of touring in USA and Canada but not Europe. We are beginning to look at flights and saw you post about Lufthansa roll on/off bike program. That looks like something we would be interested. Did you ultimately do that and if so, what was your experience? Thanks

Hi, no in the end I put my bike in a box. Well, my daughter's bike was in a box as I borrowed a bike whilst I was abroad.

classic33

Leg End Member
See victors thread with regards using BA

What is a British Airways "recognised bike bag/box"?

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
Flew Aberdeen to Frankenfurter then onwards to Tolouse with Lufthansa to ride the Raid Pyrenean. They were great in every way - no hiccups at all. Recommended. :thumbsup:

mixtetape

So... very interested in this as we have to make our way back from Frankfurt to London with bikes. @MrPie - did you travel with your bike unpacked? Lufthansa charge a fair bit (50 eur) for bike transport, but if it is fully assembled it would prob be worth it so we can ride home. Any tips or experiences appreciated, this is such a useful thread!

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
Bike was bagged up in a purpose built bike bag: wheels off, rear mech detached, seat post removed, pedals off, etc. It was my 'best bike' at the time and didn't want it damaged in any way.

Top Bottom