luggage trailers..Downside?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Just curious really, cant say I am about to buy one but the long weekend rides that I have done (some longer) all take a toll on my neck as i tend to use a rucksack.

It also restricts the amount if stuff I can take...would like to try a tent one day.

Panniers are fine but do come with issues over stability, spokes and general weight in the bike.

So what are the downsides to a trailer, sort of a B.O.B yak type gizmo

raleighnut

Legendary Member
They're bloody heavy when climbing but the worse thing is when they start 'pushing' you downhill and you're on the bike thinking "How am I going to stop all this" :eek:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I use a BobYak single wheel they are great while moving, but a pain in the butt trying to manoeuvre it while pushing as you have to keep it very upright all the time, but saying that I would not change it for a two wheel trailer. There are some cheap copies on ebay, but buy cheap and you maybe buying twice.

I had a Bob Yak and it gave me a broken collar bone. Cycling at 40 kmh down into a tunnel on day ONE of a three-month trip, I developed a wobble which I couldn't control and got thrown, landing on head and shoulder at the same time.

The helmet undoubtedly saved my life (:whistle:) but my new Goretex jacket (:cry:) didn't offer much protection to my collar bone.

Ditched the trailer and restarted my trip a month later with panniers instead.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I had a Bob Yak and it gave me a broken collar bone. Cycling at 40 kmh down into a tunnel on day ONE of a three-month trip, I developed a wobble which I couldn't control and got thrown, landing on head and shoulder at the same time.

The helmet undoubtedly saved my life (:whistle:) but my new Goretex jacket (:cry:) didn't offer much protection to my collar bone.

Ditched the trailer and restarted my trip a month later with panniers instead.
Ouch!

KneesUp

Guru
If it's anything like camping with the car, the moment you decide to use a trailer, your luggage expands to fill it :smile:

snorri

Legendary Member
Panniers are fine but do come with issues over stability, spokes and general weight in the bike.
It only takes a very short time with laden panniers to get used to the changes in handling and a well built wheel is unlikely to give any problems over many miles. I would be inclined to advise you to persevere with panniers for touring rather than convert to a trailer:smile:,

chrtho

I've used a trailer for several years but recently tried panniers.

The trailer is ideal for carrying large loads - very stable with a low C of G design like my Monoporter which I have taken to over 40mph with no problems. The main downside is maneuverability when not on the move which is a complete nightmare - impossible to reverse and the turning circle of the QE2. Also not easy to drag over rough ground when wild camping. There is also a tendency to take too much gear. My main motivation for trying panniers was to take a more lightweight approach to touring as I have a preference for hilly/mountainous terrain. This proved very successful on a recent trip through the Yorkshire Dales.

My preferred option for the future will be to make sure I travel light enough to be able to use panniers sensibly - I think you only get stability problems if you overload them and pile stuff on the rack - but in certain circumstances where I might have to carry more - such as travelling with girlfriend - wouldn't hesitate to get the trailer out again.

If it's for weekends then why not consider some bikepacking bags.

They are not just for MTB bikes, a number of cyclists are now using them for touring and road bikes. Nice and light too.

Two good makers are Alpkit and Wildcat gear both in the UK.

Top Bottom