luggage trailers..Downside?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a two wheel trailer which I use to transport my golfing paraphernalia to the course. I also use it to transport things too and from the allotment!
If you want to spend your holidays playing golf or picking vegetables, it's the very thing!!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Trailers make train travel difficult/impossible depending on how understanding the guards are. That's the reason I've avoided them so far, though I fancy getting one for going shopping.

Also Sustrans Anti-cycle gates are hard enough with panniers, the big metal chicane ones would be very difficult to navigate with the extra length.

Brains

Legendary Member
Trailers seem to be popular in North America, where the issues of manoeuvrability are not as greats as they are in the 'old' world.
Here in Europe, panniers win out every time, with a bar bag for the money, camera, maps and passport, a top stuff sack for the tent or sleeping bag and two panniers for everything else, you can ride in Europe top to bottom. If you need more space, or if want to carry food etc, then a couple of small front panniers can be added

My only experience was in Holland with a trailer, which meant we bought back a couple of slabs of beer, the weight of which made handling the bike 'interesting',

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Trailers make train travel difficult/impossible depending on how understanding the guards are. That's the reason I've avoided them so far, though I fancy getting one for going shopping.

Also Sustrans Anti-cycle gates are hard enough with panniers, the big metal chicane ones would be very difficult to navigate with the extra length.
You do have to unhook a trailer with some of the gates but the trailer is only the size of a pushchair (some of them even convert) so it isn't that much of a bind.
I've yet to have to retrace my journey cos I couldn't get through a gate.

chrtho

Depends on the trailer. A folder like the Monoporter will fit in the overhead luggage rack if necessary although I have always been able to find space next to the bike. In fact, I have used trains extensively in the UK and never had any problems getting the trailer on. A two-wheeled trailer more suitable for shopping would be a different story though.

One of the many reasons I avoid Sustrans routes when touring.

If you need more space, or if want to carry food etc, then a couple of small front panniers can be added
Never used them myself but have heard others complain about stability issues and increased wind resistance - the advantage of a trailer is that it sits in the bike's slipstream.

mikey951r

Veteran
I had a BoB Yak style trailer and used it to do the C2C and for shopping at the supermarket. I bought it because panniers always felt too cumbersome and I didn't like the way the bike handled especially uphil with them. For the supermarket it was great; however, for touring it was tolerable to start with but after a while it got on my nerves because there were lots of times when it wouldn't go through the cicane entrances to some cycle paths and I also found it was a nightmare on some of those old railaway tracks where they half bury a sleeper to stop motorcycles as they don't have the clearnce to get dragged over. In the end I bought some decent panniers, decided not to take cooking equipment when camping, resticted myself to bare essentials and bought a 7 litre handlebar bag to hold all my 'bits and bobs'. Much better and that's the way I've stayed.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Depends on the trailer. A folder like the Monoporter will fit in the overhead luggage rack if necessary although I have always been able to find space next to the bike. In fact, I have used trains extensively in the UK and never had any problems getting the trailer on. A two-wheeled trailer more suitable for shopping would be a different story though.
try a trailer, even a one wheeled one on southern railways and you probably won't even make it past the gate. ;)

willem

Über Member
We have a nice two wheel trailer from the days we toured with our young kids. It really is the only way to carry a lot (particularly two wheeled trailers), and it went well. However, now that we do not need to carry this much anymore, I have happily moved back to panniers. It is a far lighter and more nimble option, particularly if you go properly light with only two rear panniers. Trailers are heavy and expensive, and for solo use you are far better off investing that money in light gear. But for family touring I think they are great, and particularly the two wheeled ones that can carry more and keep themselves upright. Two wheelers are also useful if you want to use a road bike to get somewhere with your luggage, and then do day tours without. But avoid ultralight modern road bikes if this is what you intend.

Top Bottom