Lunch or Dinner Time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
IMG_3490.PNG

Lunchlady Doris

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I love the way people get so affirmative about this. It's hilarious! THIS, they proclaim, IS THE ONLY TRUE ANSWER. It's almost as if there is no such thing as social class or regional variation in Britain. My way is the only way. End of.

And they'll say this whilst sitting on their settee in their sitting room, not a sofa in the lounge, without the slightest sense of irony. Some will wipe their mouths after a meal on a napkin. Some will use a serviette. Some, I suspect, will use their sleeves and be proud of it. Some people, believe it or not, refer to the loo as a lavatory! I mean, would you believe that, really?

The meal-name thing is as much social class as regional variation, and if you really want to learn a little more about all this stuff, have a read of "Watching the English" by Kate Fox. You might find yourself laughing more at yourself than others.

You do realise that everyone is just having a bit of a laugh about regional stereotypes don't you? It isn't serious at all (except, of course, @Markymark who really does dislike Northerners)

MikeG

Guru
You do realise that everyone is just having a bit of a laugh about regional stereotypes don't you?.......

Yeah, I covered that:

........It's hilarious!..........

If you mistook anything I said as too earnest, then you were least wrong with the bit where I tried to broaden the discussion to include class differences as well as regional variations. Astonishingly, some people don't know the difference.

Yeah, I covered that:

If you mistook anything I said as too earnest, then you were least wrong with the bit where I tried to broaden the discussion to include class differences as well as regional variations. Astonishingly, some people don't know the difference.
You are correct. Dinner is used as the midday meal by northerners and also the proles. Below is a handy Venn diagram of the 2 groups.

2000px-Circle_-_black_simple.svg.png

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Yeah, I covered that:

I'm not interested in broadening the debate to wider socio-economic stratifications.

I just want to know where you stand on the great tea/dinner debate

And, while you're at it, what do they call a lump of bread around your way?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
[QUOTE 5104171, member: 259"]Blimey.

Breakfast*
Gregg's cheese and onion pasty
Dinner
Tea
Dinner*
Doner kebab**
Supper***

*If on expenses or a date.
**If drinking six pints
***Stale crackers and Cheshire cheese.[/QUOTE]

You take your date for breakfast?

You saucy so and so

I'm not interested in broadening the debate to wider socio-economic stratifications.

I just want to know where you stand on the great tea/dinner debate

And, while you're at it, what do they call a lump of bread around your way?
Bread is called bread. Bread is made out of bread, that’s why they call it bread.

[QUOTE 5104593, member: 45"]"Hello Mr Baker. Can I have a bread please?"[/QUOTE]
Sure thing. There’s lots of shapes, which would you like?

PK99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5104621, member: 45"]"About so big. No, a square one. No, the longer square one. Well, OK, square with a rounded top. No, not that one. I don't like the seeds. If only we had words for specific items of bread."[/QUOTE]

Whole big can of worms you are opening up here - let me drop in a grenade: What's a Barm cake?

Top Bottom