Lune-atics! The annual Glasson Dock/Conder Green ride from Spring Wood, Whalley - Sat, 1st Apr, 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It is almost time for our annual ride from Spring Wood picnic centre above Whalley, to the Lune Estuary and back. We liked the cafe at Conder Green last year so I think we will go there again this time.

What will be different this year is that I have decided to go round the opposite side of the big fells on the way out. Instead of heading north then west, we will head west then north. That means we will go via Beacon Fell and Oakenclough rather than up through the Trough of Bowland.

Tod - Spring Wood - Oakenclough - Conder Green.jpg

The thick red line shows the main loop. We will ride it in an anticlockwise direction. The bad-weather shortcut after Beacon Fell is shown by the cyan line. The route from Todmorden to Spring Wood is shown by the light green line.

I think this route is slightly easier than the route via the Trough of Bowland, but there isn't a lot in it. By local standards it is not a mega-hilly ride, but there is still enough climbing to test your legs and give some splendid views.

If you ride from Spring Wood, you would be completing a metric century. Nearer 104 km (65 miles) in fact.

It is likely that I will be riding from Todmorden to Spring Wood at the start and back again afterwards. I will be completing an imperial century. You could opt to set off with me from Tod at 08:30 or from Spring Wood at 10:00.

I have come up with an option to shorten the route in case of poor weather conditions. Instead of continuing to the cafe at Conder Green, we could call in at the visitor centre on Beacon Fell, and after that drop down to join the return part of the planned route. That would cut about 46 km from the total so you would still be getting 58 km (36 miles) or 116 km (72 miles) in.

The clocks will have gone forward by then, and Spring has officially arrived (despite some hail and snow here today trying to suggest otherwise) so this would be a good opportunity to get a decent ride in if you haven't done one yet in 2017.

The metric century is largely on quiet roads. The A646 between Todmorden and Rose Grove which the imperialists will tackle twice is busier but shouldn't be too bad at the times that we will be riding along it.

Usually on rides like this we would average about 15 kph (9.5 mph) including all stops.

If you have done this ride before, come and enjoy it again. If you haven't, join us this time and see what you have been missing! :okay:

I have a few non-forum friends who may be coming along. If you fancy joining us, post below.

(I will add more details to this post over the next few days.)

Last edited:
It is almost time for our annual ride from Spring Wood picnic centre above Whalley, to the Lune Estuary and back. We liked the cafe at Conder Green last year so I think we will go there again this time.

What will be different this year is that I have decided to go round the opposite side of the big fells on the way out. Instead of heading north then west, we will head west then north. That means we will go via Beacon Fell and Oakenclough rather than up through the Trough of Bowland.

I think it is slightly easier this way round, but there isn't a lot in it. By local standards it is not a mega-hilly ride, but there is still enough climbing to test your legs and give some splendid views.

If you ride from Spring Wood, you would be completing a metric century. Nearer 104 km (65 miles) in fact.

It is likely that I will be riding from Todmorden to Spring Wood at the start and back again afterwards. I will be completing an imperial century. You could opt to set off with me from Tod at 08:30 or from Spring Wood at 10:00.

I have come up with an option to shorten the route in case of poor weather conditions. Instead of continuing to the cafe at Conder Green, we could call in at the visitor centre on Beacon Fell, and after that drop down to join the return part of the planned route. That would cut about 40 km from the total so you would still be getting 64 km (40 miles) or 122 km (76 miles) in.

The clocks will have gone forward by then, and Spring has officially arrived (despite some hail and snow here today trying to suggest otherwise) so this would be a good opportunity to get a decent ride in if you haven't done one yet in 2017.

The metric century is largely on quiet roads. The A646 between Todmorden and Rose Grove which the imperialists will tackle twice is busier but shouldn't be too bad at the times that we will be riding along it.

Usually on rides like this we would average about 15 kph (9.5 mph) including all stops.

If you have done this ride before, come and enjoy it again. If you haven't, join us this time and see what you have been missing! :okay:

I have a few non-forum friends who may be coming along. If you fancy joining us, post below.

(I will add more details to this post over the next few days.)

Hi Colin,

Yes count me in. I'll be riding over from Tod to meet you so will be a fellow imperialist.

Brian

Domus

Guru
Would love to come, however I am obliged to attend my granddaughter's birthday party on that day. :birthday:
Sounds a great day out and an ideal first CC ride..............Bugger :angry:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hi Colin,

Yes count me in. I'll be riding over from Tod to meet you so will be a fellow imperialist.

Brian
Excellent! You will be doing about 113 miles on the day, assuming that we get reasonable weather and do the full route.

Would love to come, however I am obliged to attend my granddaughter's birthday party on that day. :birthday:
Sounds a great day out and an ideal first CC ride..............Bugger :angry:
Oh, it's a pity that they clash.

If you free on the 9th then I can recommend the Spring Into The Dales audax event from Mytholmroyd, though that is a significantly harder route than my ride - 10% longer and with nearly double the total amount of climbing.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I think I might be up for this Colin, Just need to check the logistics of getting to Todmordon that early. Leave it with me!
It would be good if you could join us! :okay:

The 07:48 train from Manchester Victoria gets to Todmorden in only 24 minutes, arriving at 08:12. It is £8.70 return if you do not have a railcard or £5.75 if you do. (I don't know if that helps? Tod railway station is only 3 minutes from where we will start.)

mythste

Veteran
It would be good if you could join us! :okay:

The 07:48 train from Manchester Victoria gets to Todmorden in only 24 minutes, arriving at 08:12. It is £8.70 return if you do not have a railcard or £5.75 if you do. (I don't know if that helps? Tod railway station is only 3 minutes from where we will start.)

It certainly does, and I've got 5 months left of being a "young person" according to my railcard so I absolutely intend to make the most of it.

Signed off with the better half so I'll see you there :smile:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I have just added a simple map to the first post. It shows the various route options.

It certainly does, and I've got 5 months left of being a "young person" according to my railcard so I absolutely intend to make the most of it.

Signed off with the better half so I'll see you there :smile:
Great!

I have a Senior railcard. For some reason, despite my obvious immaturity the railway companies refused to allow me a Young Person's railcard so I bought the old fogey's version instead! :laugh:

From Todmorden:
  • ColinJ
  • Bill (a pal of mine who is not a CC member but who sometimes comes along with us)
  • Littgull
  • Mythste

More riders wanted - sign up below! :welcome:

mythste

Veteran
It'll be my first imperial this year so a nice test for the legs. And a good excuse to pretty up my steel workhorse! A winters worth of commuting and shes looking a little neglected.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I am still hoping that Littgull can make it, though he has been suffering with a bad back recently so he may not be able to.

No word yet from my pals from out Keighley way, but they did say that they were interested and they came on the last edition of the ride so I think that there is a good chance that they will turn out.

COME AND JOIN US! :welcome: (Express your interest below)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The weather forecast for Saturday is improving. Currently, it is for mildish conditions, some sunny spells, and only a few showers at about 4 pm. We might well get wind assistance on the way out and the wind direction is supposed to swing round to potentially help us a bit on the return leg too - *gasp*!

I'm still hoping that more of you will turn out. It's a good ride so make the effort and come with us! If you don't fancy the full imperial century, just meet us at Spring Wood instead and get a metric century in.

doughnut

Veteran
Not 100% yet Colin, but its looking like my calendar clash for Saturday is becoming unclashed. I will know better tonight and let you know. I'd like to do the imperial century, though looking at Strava shows me that I've only ridden 99.8 miles this year so far! No mudguards on my bike at the moment, so I would be riding at the back.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Not 100% yet Colin, but its looking like my calendar clash for Saturday is becoming unclashed. I will know better tonight and let you know. I'd like to do the imperial century, though looking at Strava shows me that I've only ridden 99.8 miles this year so far! No mudguards on my bike at the moment, so I would be riding at the back.
That would be good!

The weather forecast is very changeable so I think it will turn out to be a bit of everything. Hopefully, what rain we get will be light showers rather than thunderstorms ... I think that several of us won't have mudguards on our bikes so we will all have to ride at the back. Oh, er, hang on ... :whistle:

My pal Bill is a bit of a fair-weather cyclist so he may decide not to come if it is raining when he gets up! Other pals Carrie and Kevin look likely to come. I am waiting for a phone call from them to confirm. I also need to check how Littgull is getting on recovering from his back problems of last week to see if he can make it.

Potential riders:
  • ColinJ
  • Bill
  • Carrie
  • Kevin
  • Littgull
  • mythste
  • doughnut
We can adapt to the weather on the day, if necessary. We could shorten the ride to 50 miles or 100 km (62 miles) by going to Waddington or Chipping. Or 70-75 miles by going to the cafe at Beacon Fell and then heading back. Ideally though, stick to the planned route and get that imperial century in.

mythste

Veteran

It'd be great to catch up with you again :smile:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Carrie and Kevin have confirmed that they will be riding. They will probably meet us at Spring Wood at 10:00, but they know we are starting from Tod at 08:30 so they could opt to meet us here if they decide that they want to do an imperial century rather than the metric one.

Top Bottom