Lune-atics! The annual Glasson Dock/Conder Green ride from Spring Wood, Whalley - Sat, 1st Apr, 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mythste

Veteran
Hahahah, Yeah, she was keen!

I enjoyed the pace on the way back, and it got me past a wall of "this is stupid, i hate cycling, and people, and sheep, **** you sheep" etc.

High point of the day was trying to get on a train back from Todmorden and realising I still had that slab of Rocky Road in my jersey pocket. Never been so happy to see a chocolatey goo-ey mess in my life.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I enjoyed the pace on the way back, and it got me past a wall of "this is stupid, i hate cycling, and people, and sheep, **** you sheep" etc.

High point of the day was trying to get on a train back from Todmorden and realising I still had that slab of Rocky Road in my jersey pocket. Never been so happy to see a chocolatey goo-ey mess in my life.
Bill did mention you asking if that long steepening climb up from the Greenway to the traffic lights at Manchester Road was the last hill of the day, and saying that you wouldn't be a happy chappie if there was more climbing to follow! :okay:

Did you notice the drag from Walk Mill up to the railway bridge lights at Cliviger Gorge, before the lovely 6 km swoop down to Todmorden? There is only 90 metres of climb at an average of 2.4% but it can catch you out if you are tired. You wonder why it feels hard-going because the road looks almost level but if you check the OS map, all is revealed! Like this, in fact ...

Padiham to Tod elevation profile.gif

mythste

Veteran
Bill did mention you asking if that long steepening climb up from the Greenway to the traffic lights at Manchester Road was the last hill of the day, and saying that you wouldn't be a happy chappie if there was more climbing to follow! :okay:

Did you notice the drag from Walk Mill up to the railway bridge lights at Cliviger Gorge, before the lovely 6 km swoop down to Todmorden? There is only 90 metres of climb at an average of 2.4% but it can catch you out if you are tired. You wonder why it feels hard-going because the road looks almost level but if you check the OS map, all is revealed! Like this, in fact ...

View attachment 345645

I'm not sure I was that polite actually... :laugh:

Was that the cycle path bit? I think Doug mentioned it was a bit of a drag at that time.

The biggest problem I have is attacking hills without any thought to how much I've actually got left in the tank. I Didn't kill myself on Saturday but certainly couldn't have gone much faster on the return leg.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm not sure I was that polite actually... :laugh:

Was that the cycle path bit? I think Doug mentioned it was a bit of a drag at that time.

The biggest problem I have is attacking hills without any thought to how much I've actually got left in the tank. I Didn't kill myself on Saturday but certainly couldn't have gone much faster on the return leg.
The cycle path was the Greenway and that is about the same gradient. I've shown the drag on the profile above. You plunge down to Walk Mill through a couple of sets of traffic lights, and then the road just drags up to the summit after the lights at the railway bridge before the run for home.

You may not have noticed it. It is just enough to nobble your speed, but no problem unless you are knackered and/or you get a strong headwind up the valley from Tod.

Top Bottom