Lune-atics! The annual Glasson Dock/Conder Green ride from Spring Wood, Whalley - Sat, 1st Apr, 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Great. Have you got a gpx file I can load into my gps?
There's a coincidence - I just went to my mapping software to get it before you posted!

Silly me - I had forgotten to save it before doing some housekeeping on my stash of routes, so I just had to recreate it.

I have attached 2 GPX files below. One for the ride from Todmorden to Spring Wood (the return leg is exactly the same in reverse). The other is the loop from Spring Wood over Beacon Fell to Conder Green, and then back via Longridge.

We may be a km or so short of an imperial century. If we are, we can add the extra on at the end by riding up the A6033 towards Walsden, then turning back and going to Tod station with mythste.

Attachments

• Spring Wood Whalley - Beacon Fell - Conder Green - Longridge - Spring Wood.gpx
    27.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Tod to Whalley via Greenway and Old Roman Rd.gpx
    9.3 KB · Views: 134
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Meeting point beside Tod Chippy opposite the free Dalton Street car park. If you are coming in by train, follow the green arrow.

Tod map.png

Unfortunately, my bad back will need a few more days at least to recover sufficiently. I've let Colin know separately.

I'm really disappointed to have missed this ride as it's a great day out and opener to the Spring time.

Enjoy the ride all and hope to see you soon on Colin's next forum ride.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Unfortunately, my bad back will need a few more days at least to recover sufficiently. I've let Colin know separately.

I'm really disappointed to have missed this ride as it's a great day out and opener to the Spring time.

Enjoy the ride all and hope to see you soon on Colin's next forum ride.
Thanks. Hopefully, we can get that ride in next week to see how your back is, and that the answer is that you are then fit to ride SITD on the 9th!

Don't forget, we have the 'Calderdale 70'-based ride planned for April 22nd.

The weather forecast should be pretty accurate now with less than 24 hours to go to this ride. The bad news is that it looks like we will get soaked during the first 2-3 hours. There is an 80% chance of rain then and it is supposed to be heavy. The good news is that it should blow over later in the ride and the sun should appear.

@mythste - if you would like to give me your mobile number, PM it to me and I will text you back from my ride phone so you get my number.

NUTS !! It clashes with my good ladies work pattern,looks a good ride as always from you Colin. Have a good and safe one everyone.
Oh well - see if you can make SITD and/or the new ride on the 22nd?

Plans are well underway for the Cheshire ride in June (3rd). We will be getting the train to Manchester this time and doing the ride from Victoria Station. We will ride out to Rostherne and do about a 150 km loop from there before riding back into the city for our train home. Book that day off ASAP! :okay:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Here I was thinking I might be able to remove my mudguards for the first time this year. Nevermind!

Time to get tactical on layers.
Unfortunately, I transferred my mudguards to my singlespeed bike which is ovegeared for hills so I will NOT be riding that bike tomorrow! I am not going to move the guards back just for the first few hours of an all-day ride.

I was going to wear my baggy Endura shorts but temperatures are supposed to drop by 6-7 degrees tomorrow so I think I will get the winter tights out again. I'm not going to wear my heavy-duty rain jacket though because I would be stuck with it all day even once conditions improved. I'll wear a gilet, a lightweight boil-in-the-bag Aldi rain jacket, and armwarmers instead. I can take the jacket and armwarmers off later on. The jacket scrunches up into a stuff-bag about the size of an orange, so it is easy to stash in my trusty Camelbak bag when I am not wearing it.

Time to charge my GPS batteries and upload the route.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Weird ... I'm trying to work out if that was actually a serious invention! I rarely worry about my head and shoulders getting wet. Main problems are cold, wet hands and feet, but a cold, wet body isn't great either. :wacko:

It would be steamed up in about 2 minutes, and you would probably suffocate. Apart from that, it's a brilliant invention! :laugh:

mythste

Veteran
Unfortunately, I transferred my mudguards to my singlespeed bike which is ovegeared for hills so I will NOT be riding that bike tomorrow! I am not going to move the guards back just for the first few hours of an all-day ride.

I was going to wear my baggy Endura shorts but temperatures are supposed to drop by 6-7 degrees tomorrow so I think I will get the winter tights out again. I'm not going to wear my heavy-duty rain jacket though because I would be stuck with it all day even once conditions improved. I'll wear a gilet, a lightweight boil-in-the-bag Aldi rain jacket, and armwarmers instead. I can take the jacket and armwarmers off later on. The jacket scrunches up into a stuff-bag about the size of an orange, so it is easy to stash in my trusty Camelbak bag when I am not wearing it.

Time to charge my GPS batteries and upload the route.

Pfft, Tights got locked away in feb. I've not shaved my legs this year yet though so that should keep some warmth in :laugh:

Top Bottom